Chapter 16 - Phoebe

My hands clutched the basin and I fought down my panic. This had been a bad idea and I had no clue how I had let Cara talk me into it. She didn't need me to help her with the 'networking opportunities' side of the evening. She was a professional and perfectly capable doing this alone.

I knew she was manipulating me even as it was happening, but I was helpless against her powers of persuasion. Oh, she was good.

The girl looking back at me from the mirror was so unlike myself. Painted red lips and smoky golds and browns round my grey-green eyes made them really pop. It looked great but it wasn't me.

My chest tightened remembering our eyes meeting. Had he thought I looked good?

No no no! Bad brain - stop thinking about him. If he thought anything it was probably how strange I was for running to hide in the bathroom.

I sighed and straightened up. 'Don't be weird.' I ordered my reflection, 'Don't embarrass yourself in front of the famous people.' I wagged my finger at myself this time for emphasis.

"Not going to lie," said a voice from in the stalls behind me, "talking to yourself isn't exactly the best example of not being weird."

My face burned with embarrassment. Why had I not thought to check the bathroom was empty when I walked in here? Preferably before I began myself a pep talk, monologing with a mirror.

"I-err-I-" I mumbled, not sure whether to run and hope the person thought they had imagined me or say something.

The toilet flushed and the decision was made for me. The woman who emerged was stunning. Why did everyone here look like they belonged in a magazine? I mentally face palmed as I remembered that most of them probably starred in them.

She glided past me to the sinks in a rustle of skirts and for a moment I thought I saw surprise register on her face, before it settled into an easy smile. She was probably expecting someone more famous and not for the first time, I wondered what I was even doing here. "Take my advice darling. These don't get any easier so you either get out while you can or fake it till you make it." She offered.

I tried to respond but my mouth just opened and closed uselessly. Well done Phoebe, great first impression and networking skills I thought whilst kicked myself mentally.

Her green eyes twinkled as she glanced over at me, eyes looking me slowly up and down. "You'll be fine doll."

I gave her a shaky smile, "Maybe if I can stop running off and talking to myself." I joked.

She laughed out loud, throwing her head back, the thick dark curls of hair cascading down her back, dancing with the movement. She was so intimidatingly beautiful I completely missed what she said until I noticed she was waiting for a response. "Sorry?" I squeaked.

"I said running might not be such a bad idea." Her eyes looked haunted and for the first time I wondered who she was. I hoped she wasn't a famous celebrity I didn't recognise again. Although Cara had been trying to teach me, I was still very much a work in progress.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"I'm fine. Good luck tonight Phoebe." And with that she swept out.

I gazed after her, jaw hanging open as I processed what she said.

I hadn't told her my name. But she knew it.

My blood ran cold and I bolted out the door after her, looking around wildly.

Despite the relatively intimate venue, I couldn't see her anywhere and so I returned to Cara feeling shaken and unable to lose the nagging feeling I was being watched.