Chapter 28 - Phoebe

Everything feels so perfect. I'm wrapped in the warmth of his arms, cocooned against his chest. I feel safe. I can still hear the singer, but my focus is on Elliott singing the words softly just above me. His voice doesn't have the gravelly tone of the singer on stage but I think I prefer it anyway.

I tear my eyes from his and snuggle deeper into his chest. The song ends but I remain there, tucked against his chest. I feel him move so his chin rests on the top of my head and listen to the pounding beat of his heart and unsteady breathing.

The singer launches into another song but in our bubble of peace I hardly notice.

"Do you want to get out of here?" Elliott ask after a moment, his voice unsteady.

I move back so I can see him properly, instantly regretting the loss of his warmth and our closeness. "We only just got here?" I tease.

He looks like her might be in pain, "We can stay until you're ready to leave."

I laugh a little, "What's wrong?"

"Don't you know how badly I want to kiss you right now?" the heat in his voice thrills me and scares me.

I lean back a little, extending the distance between us, "You? Want to kiss me?" I whisper confused by the intensity of his reaction.

"More than anything." He whispers back and then leads me from the dancefloor. We ignore our drinks, leaving them hardly touched on a table occupied by Jake. But his eyes track our movement and he follows us as we leave the main room. I distantly remember that he is protection for Elliott but my head is spinning with the knowledge Elliott is going to kiss me. He wants to kiss me.

I stumble and he catches my elbows to balance me, "Why do we have to leave for you to kiss me?" I ask.

He looks surprised, "We don't. I just thought you wouldn't want our first kiss somewhere like this." He gestures to the pulsing lights and crowded space.

First? I feel my heart stutter. He plans to kiss me more than once?

"I don't mind it." I whisper.

The crowd presses closer to us but my eyes are completely focused on his. "Someone might recognise me." He warns.

"I don't care." My whispered response is all he needs.

I see the second he decides what to do, that decision in his eyes mixes with the heat and his hand slips around my waist, guiding me back until I hit the wall.

My back pressed against the cool tiles, his arms braced either side of my head I look up and gulp.

"Can I kiss you Phoebe?" he asks, so close I feel his breath on my face.

My legs are trembling but my voice steady, "Please." I breathe.

Then just like that, his lips are on mine. He guides my hands up over his shoulders and wraps his arms around me. Fingers brushing my hair back from my face and cupping my cheek.

He's kissing me so gently, almost reverently but it's not enough. I knot my hands in his hair tugging him closer and deepening the kiss.

A little voice in the back of my head reminds me this is probably just a bit of fun and it won't last but I push it away. In that moment I don't care. I'm too caught up in the sensation of his lips on mine, his hands on my body, the heat between us no longer just metaphorical.

Too soon he pulls back and rests his forehead against mine. I let out a whimper of protest before I can stop myself.

"One moment, I'm just trying to think gentlemanly thoughts so Cara doesn't string me up." Elliott chuckled softly.

"As opposed to what?" I asked breathlessly.

He closes his eyes and shakes his head laughing, "Never you mind."

I laugh too, riding high on the buzz created between us, feeling both exhilarated and amazed. Did that really just happen. He darts forward and kisses my nose.

I wrinkle it, trying to move back, forgetting the wall and bumping the back of my head so hard my teeth rattle. "Ouch."

"You silly sausage." He laughs rubbing the back of my head until the sting fades.

I roll my eyes. Trust my clumsiness to get in the way of an incredible moment. But it was just a moment and reality is already setting in. I felt my heart sink a little at the thought this wouldn't be happening again.

"Uh oh." Elliott says, watching my face, "I know that look. You're overthinking again, do I need to kiss some sense into you because I'm willing to if you think it will help." His eyes twinkle and he leans in again.

"Kiss the sense out of me more like." I whisper and then I pull him down to kiss him. This time he let's me lead and for the first time I regret my lack of experience.

I want to blow his mind like he does mine. My hands curl into fists of the material of his shirt as if the more of him I hold, the less likely he will be to leave.

An idea strikes me and I dart my tongue out to touch his. The effect is instantaneous as he groans and the kiss becomes fierce and hungry. I've lost control of it now, but I don't mind. All I can think about are the hands holding my hips.

He breaks the kiss, "My god you are testing me woman." He sighs, "Let's get you home before I completely break my promise to Cara."

I nearly skip to the car and let him help me into it.

"Where to Miss?" Jake, turns in his seat to face me.

I almost him my home address before remembering what Cara said about staying with her.

I rifle through the bag before victoriously pulling out an unfamiliar folded piece of paper. I open it, just to double check it before I pass it over and a gold foil wrapped condom drops into my lap.

I squeal and flick it off my lap, somehow flipping it over the headrest. It lands on Jake's head and I freeze, face burning with embarrassment.

Jake blinks, looking in the mirror to see what it is before meeting my horrified eyes in it. "Is that a condom on my head?" he asks in an amused tone.

"It's not mine." Is all I manage to blurt out.

There is a moments silence before Jake and Elliott burst into hysterical laughter. "You probably expect that on Chris watching duty, not here." Elliott splatters.

"Well at least I can say beautiful women throw condoms at me." Jake dissolves into peals of laughter again.

My face is burning and the address is lost somewhere on the floor of the car. I duck down to find it, hiding my embarrassment behind my hair as much as I can.

"I'm sorry." Elliott gasps of breath as he tries to control his laughter, "But you should have seen your faces."

I was going to kill Cara for this. Although, knowing her she would just find it as funny as they did.

My fingers brush the paper and I grasp it, taking a moment to breathe before sitting up. Elliott is watching me, face schooled into an expression of calm but I could still see the laughter bubbling behind his eyes.

"I think this is yours?" he holds out the condom and the corner of his lip twitches in amusement.

I want the ground to swallow me.