Chapter Eighteen

*Davina*

For a moment, everything was fine and I thought that maybe the curse wasn't going to have any effect on us. But I was wrong. Calix's skin turned pale and he cried out in pain as the curse started to affect him. I saw the black spidery veins creeping up his arms and knew. It was time, but it was too soon.

I held on to him tightly, not wanting him to go. We had just bonded and now he was going be taken from me. I wanted more time with him. I wanted to experience life with him. But now I wondered if I'd ever get that chance. This curse...this curse was going to take that away from me.

"Calix...I'm here," I told him as I bit back my tears, "I'm here."

"Davina...you healed me," he told me.

"I know, and I'm sorry that you have to go through this," I told him as tears started to stream down my cheeks. He reached over and gently wiped my tears.

"Promise me...that you'll stay safe," he told me.

"I promise," I assured him.

"Davina...I love you," he whispered, "Don't you ever forget that."

"I won't," I assured him, "I love you too."

He was silent for a moment and then he spoke again.

"I used to think that...weaving the life threads of others made me invincible," he admitted, "But...I see now that I'm not."

"Calix, you're the strongest person I know," I told him.

"I wonder what it'll be like," he admitted.

I didn't say anything in response. I couldn't. It was too painful to think about.

"Can you do something for me?" he asked.

"Anything," I replied.

"Can you kiss me?" he asked, "I just...I want to feel your lips on mine one last time before the curse takes hold."

I did as he asked and pressed my lips to his. It was a kiss full of longing. He longed to stay with me and I longed to go with him. I tasted the salt of his tears and felt the sadness and grief in the air around us. I pulled away from the kiss and looked into his eyes.

"Thank you," he whispered.

My heart shattered as he winced in pain again, but this time was different. This time the curse took him away from me and my soul longed to go with him, but I knew that was impossible.

As Calix's glorious dark blue eyes closed and his breathing stopped, I burst into tears again and heart wrenching sobs escaped my lips.

"Oh raindrop," I heard a voice whisper. I looked up and found my Father.

"Father," I choked out. I was surprised to see him. Although Aphrodite had warned us that he'd be appearing, I didn't think that he'd be able to leave the river.

"Hades let me leave the river when Apollo informed him of what was to happen today," he explained.

He knelt down beside me and wrapped his arms around me, holding me as I cried. Trying his best to soothe me as my heart and soul cried out for Calix.