Chapter 11

Klaus decided it was best if they rented a place off the beaten path instead of staying at the mansion, it's too obvious that they would stay at the mansion.

"Where are we going?" Caroline asks Klaus, as he pulls down a dirt road.

"Somewhere safe, I assure you." He replies.

"How do you know we're not being followed? What if they're already on our trail?" Caroline starts to panic.

"Ssshh. Calm down, Caroline. I already have minions of my own following us, for informative and protective purposes. If they see anyone come around who doesn't belong, they will take care of it. Besides, I had Freya cloak the house before we got here." He eases Caroline's worries with a gentle brush of his thumb on her hand and a smile. She visibly relaxes. They pull up to a small cabin in the middle of nowhere. Klaus takes Caroline's bags and sets them inside.

"We don't have much time to settle in here, you can unpack but you must do so quickly. We're supposed to meet Elijah and Freya for a debriefing in an hour. I need you to call Bonnie before we leave. I'll leave you to it, I'm going to step outside and have a word with the team I've assigned to watch the house." On that note, he stepped outside and left Caroline to unpack.

Caroline was dreading having to call Bonnie. She wanted to talk to her, she was just afraid how the conversation might go. What was she supposed to say? "Sorry I left you and all of our friends to road trip with our former enemy/ my new lover so I can help save his family from eminent doom? Oh and by the way, I want you to help?" Caroline huffed. She had absolutely no idea how to say all of that but in a more appealing way. She decided to just bite the bullet and call Bonnie, she would figure everything out as she went.

*ring**ring* "Hello? Caroline?" Bonnie picked up.

"Hey Bonnie! So listen... I know I left without saying anything and I know you guys must be mad at me. But I was going insane in Mystic Falls. I felt like I couldn't breathe without being reminded of my dead Mother. I just needed to get away for a while. I needed a distraction. So please, tell me you understand." Caroline spit out, bracing herself for what Bonnie might say.

"It sucked that you left without saying anything, and yeah we miss you like crazy. But I understand why you did it. I'm here for you, Caroline. I'm just a phone call away if you ever need anything." Bonnie said, much to Caroline's surprise. She really thought Bonnie was going to be mad.

"Well listen Bon, there's more. It's really hard to explain and you just have to trust me and not get mad okay? So obviously you know the Mikaelsons... well I'm sort of staying with them in New Orleans..."

"You what?!" Bonnie cut Caroline off.

"Don't interrupt me! Just hear me out... I know it sounds bad but it's really not. I came of my own will, I promise you they did not kidnap me or something. I'm here to help them. Their eldest brother, Finn, somehow took over the body of a powerful witch and now he's trying to resurrect their Mother, Esther. She's a very powerful very evil minded woman, and it would be hell on Earth for everyone if she was resurrected. Finn has a whole army of witches on his side. So we need all the help we can get..."

"Are you saying, you want me to come to New Orleans, to help you, help the Mikaelsons?" Bonnie asked, in disbelief.

"Well yes, but it's for the good of everyone Bonnie. Just think about it. And whatever you do, don't tell anyone else. ESPECIALLY not Elena. We need you Bonnie. I need you. I gotta go but promise you'll think long and hard about it. Whatever you decide, we need you hear ASAP, okay?"

"Okay, I'll think about it. I'll call you later, bye." Bonnie replies before hanging up.

Caroline continues to unpack her clothes while thinking about Bonnie. She really hopes Bonnie says yes. She could be a real asset to them. And she would make sure that the Mikaelsons were on their best behavior.

"Are you ready to go?" Klaus stepped inside to ask Caroline.

"Yeah, I guess so." Caroline said, the conversation with Bonnie clearly weighing on her mind.

"Did you talk to Bonnie?" Klaus asked, once they got on the road toward the Mikaelson mansion. He could tell something was bothering her, most likely her conversation with Bonnie.

"Yeah, I did. I did my best to explain the situation to her but I think she just needs a few hours to digest all of this and make up her mind." Caroline responded meekly.

"Even if she says no, it's not your fault, you know." Klaus assures Caroline.

"I know, I just worry. I don't want to let anyone down. And I don't want Bonnie to be mad at me." Caroline explains.

"You're always so worried about everyone else. Try thinking about yourself for a change." Klaus offers.

"Thinking about myself is not an easy thing. I'm a people pleaser." Caroline remarked.

"Oh yes, I'm sure we're all aware of that." Klaus smiled at Caroline, who smiled back.

The two pulled up to the Mikaelson mansion, where Klaus's siblings awaited them.

"Are you ready?" Klaus asked Caroline.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Caroline smiled at Klaus and headed to the door of the mansion. They were really about to start what could be a very long, very tiring fight.