Puppies and Kittens Part 3

Sleepy Hollow, NY

We finally pulled up to what was once the high school Hammond was talking about. However, the vehicles, or the team of killers that Hammond was expecting were nowhere to be seen.

Instead, we were met by the sight of smoke and small flames rising from various cars and piles of rubble. This place was for sure raided- recently. Hammond's buddy was the first out of the car, followed by the man himself who pushed him back.

"Get back in the truck." Hammond ordered, to which the odd man obliged. The Lieutenant raised his gun and took a few steps forward, walking up to a Z. Correction- half of a Z that was trying to crawl out from under an SUV.

"Is it them?" Murphy asked, getting nothing in response. He spoke louder. "Hammond! Is it them?"

"Yes, Murphy. It's them." He responded, putting a bullet through the undead soldier's brain. 'Murphy' shrugged it off and got out of the car, announcing that he had to pee. Warren and Garnett got out as well, and I jumped out of the bed of the truck and walked around the sassy man to stand next to Warren.

"Don't go far." She warned, and Murphy promptly walked to the back tire and unzipped his pants, telling her not to worry. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, Warren did the same and we started walking towards Hammond.

"This guy." Roberta muttered under her breath, myself nodding in agreement. Hammond met us half way and started speaking.

"My reinforcements are dead."

"Oh, really? Didn't notice." I mocked. He ignored me yet again.

"We need to make a quick search for any survivors and supplies." He looked at the person he'd been protection for- supposedly- the entire apocalypse and pointed to him. "You! Zip up and stay close to me." Addy, who had been using her little Hero camera to film the scene before us from the bed of the truck, spoke up.

"Hey, where'd all the Z's go?" She asked. Doc was quick to reply.

"Movin' on, like locusts." Hammond nodded, agreeing with the metaphor.

"Yeah, but they'll be back." He started giving orders. "Garnett and Warren, you clear the building and you 4," he pointed to Mack, Addy, Doc and myself, "check the vehicles." As my team jumped out of the bed of the truck, I could feel anger rising.

I know that guy didn't just order me around. I looked up at Warren and she looked back at me, shaking her head slightly- warning me not to say anything. I huffed and followed Mack, Doc and Addy.

Obedience isn't exactly my thing.

3rd Person POV

"They never even had a chance." Garnett said to Warren, but she instead set a hand on his side and shushed him.

"You hear that?" She asked, listening.

"Hear what?" Garnett questioned, confused. Suddenly, whimpers and cries could be heard from a nearby car- and they weren't coming from a Z.

"There." Warren looked at Garnett, who nodded once, silently telling her he heard it.

"Sounds like a... baby?" The duo cautiously moved forward, ready to draw their weapons at a moment's notice. Warren quickly put her gun away when she spotted the baby in question sitting in the backseat of a car that had gone through the side of the building. She quickly opened the door and proceeded to reach for the infant.

"Hey, it's okay sweetie," she tried to sooth the whimpering child, "we're gonna get you outta there." As she started unbuckling the carseat, Garnett spoke.