Chapter 24. Nothing

It felt like there had not been any summer break at all, for being back in the Hogwarts express felt surreal compared to everything that had happened during summer and before that. But I guess you could start to explain it with the fact that everything seemed to have changed.

Alice was in the same compartment with her beloved Frank, so she wasn't spending this exciting time with us anymore. Remus, Peter, Sirius and James were in their own compartment, and so it was just me, Lily and Marlene. Although I knew that Lily wanted to be in the same compartment with James, which was just acceptable. But Marlene had changed completely. For some reason, her whole appearance could be described as being a brat.

She was glaring at me time to time, asking about my eyes multiple times, for she didn't just want to accept any reasonable explanation. I didn't want to tell her the truth, and so became annoyed. But just something told me that there was more to it than that.

But after what had happened between James and I, I did tell Lily. She is one of the few people that know about my Venefica's powers. And being Lily, she took it all in without a doubt. She even helped me to practise some calming practises, which would be useful for not only for me, but also to the people around me that knew. They would need to calm me down, if they were to see my eyes start to glow.

"Does the eye thing have something to do with Sirius?"

Marlene's sudden question almost made my jaw drop to the floor, as both Lily and I turned to look at her. "Marlene!" Lily said in a very scolding way. This only made her cross her arms and stare at me.

"What? I can ask can't I? Besides it seems like the only reasonable answer to all this!"

But this made me cross my arms as well. "Well Marlene, it's none of your business so drop it!"

She narrowed her eyes and almost made me feel guilty about what I had just said, but I kept my calm. "Nothing ever is these days...fine!" she huffed and stood up from her seat. "I will go to the boys compartment!"

And with that she was gone. I blinked my eyes a couple of times, before turning to look at Lily. "Did you understand what just happened?"

She just blinked her eyes in confusion. "I don't-...I think she's jealous," she muttered.

I furrowed my brows. "Why would she be jealous? Jealous of me?"

Lily was just about to explain it all to me, when something caught my eye...or rather someone walking at the hallway of the express. With all his slimy glory and all his minions, Regulus was laughing at the hallway at some new one year muggle student that had just lost his chocolate frog. It seemed like nothing had changed with him...at all.

So how was he allowed to laugh?

How was it fair that after everything that happened because of him, he was allowed to continue living normally and I had to suffer a great deal?

My breathing got heavier and my mind was becoming more messier. Before I even realised it, I knew that I had changed my expression and appearance. For the first time, my mind went completely black. The brightness and the kindness disappeared quicker than ever before, being replaced with something I hadn't felt before. It was hatred.

And it was the need to hurt someone...hurt him.

"Aurora your eyes!" Lily suddenly breathed out, making me come back to the reality that was surrounding me.

And while this happened, I really did realise what my body had just done all by itself. I stared at my own eyes through the reflection on the window of the compartment. They were glowing fiery red, making me let out a sudden gasp. I quickly turned so no one was able to see me, nor my eyes. Lily quickly went to put on the shades on the compartment door, so no one could see inside, shutting Regulus and his gang out from all of this.