Unexpected Love AU 4

"Sokka, when do you think Aang will wake up?" Katara asked her brother as she looks at the sleeping boy.

"Who knows.. could be days, weeks or worst case scenario...months." Sokka replied.

"We only have 3 months until the eclipse. We need to create a plan B in case Aang doesn't wake up in time."

"I'll work on that." Sokka nodded. "But first, we have to plan our route."

"Right. We should travel by water." Katara suggested. "I'm more useful around large bodies of water."

"We could...but if the Firenation ship finds us, we'll be in trouble." Sokka replied.

"We'll have plenty of time to think about this. I think we just need a small break from everything. Losing a friend and nearly losing another is taking a lot out of me." Katara sighed as she looks down.

Sokka placed his hand on his little sister's shoulder. "Everything will be okay, Katara. Aang will be fine."

"I know he will... But Toph."

"Im not sure about Toph... Aang says she's dead but a random girl that we just met says she's alive." Sokka replied.

"I hope she is, Sokka. I have hope now."

"Me too."
================================
"So where have you been since the Avatar abandoned you?" Iroh asked as they walked down a path.

"Well I woke up near mushy area, where Aang and I trained. Then I just headed in some direction, hoping to find people. Took me a long time but I found a village of earthbenders." Toph  said.

"I stayed there for a little bit. I fought an Earthbender, who claimed to be the world's greatest earthbender. I beat him very easily. Then I left, after finding out where Ba Sing Se was."

"Will your friends be okay with us? I mean, I am their worst enemy after all." Zuko wondered. He really wanted to change.

"At first, no they wont." Toph said, causing the prince to scowl. "But just be how you are right now, and they'll come around."

"You trust me so easily... Why?"

"Easy. You aren't lying. I can tell if someone's lying by their heartbeat and physical movement. I see that you are truly trying to be better and that's what I like about you so far." Toph smirked, giving the firebender a punch to the arm, causing him to wince.

"See Zuko? You followed your heart and look how it's going for you. I'm proud of you." Iroh looked at his nephew, who gave a small smile.

"Thank you..."

"Let's pick up the pace yeah? Hold on!" Toph pushed a slab of the ground beneath the three of them and pushed them forward at a much faster pace. "The quicker we get there, the quicker I can find my friends!"
================================
The next day

"When I heard the Avatar was here, I just had to see for myself. Welcome!" Guru exclaimed as he spots the two water tribe siblings.

They bowed towards the leader. "Hello!" Katara greeted.

"I heard of you two. Katara and Sokka of the southern water tribe." Guru said.

"Nice to meet you, sir." Sokka replied. "Aang was struck down the other day... We don't know when he'll wake up."

"Poor boy..." Guru looked at the sleeping airbender. "Though wouldn't you call this an advantage for us in the war?"

Katara frowned. "What do you mean by that?"