Chapter 56: Perfect Timing

This was written very fast-paced...

MAIZE

No sooner than the words escaped her lips she grabbed hold of Alec's collar and yanked him to the ground just as multiple bullets pierced the air.

The guard fell to the floor. The sound of two more hit the ground by the doors around the corner.

The red laser moved across the ground seeking another target.

Kishan was caught off guard and Maize quickly turned on him and kicked him in the chest which sent him back a few steps before she spun and the heel of her boot smashed into his nose.

"Dammit—bitch that hurt!" He exclaimed as he clutched his nose, blood pooling beneath his hand. He didn't have time to say anything else before Alec's fist smashed into the side of his head and left him on the ground cold.

They then threw themselves to the side just as gunshots headed for them, a bullet just nearly whizzing past her head.

Azeal had taken cover behind one of the iron over-bearings and was now firing both towards them and the metal beams up at the ceiling, while his men from different parts of the building were flooding in from all sides in response to the gunfire.

She cursed him out as she and Alec rolled for cover behind a corner stack of large crates. She tossed him the gun in her hand.

"Take it," she said quickly.

His eyes tightened for a split moment as he looked at it, but the moment of whatever hesitation he had was quickly gone once he took it from her hand and held it at the ready as they both crouched with their backs to the crates.

"Who the hell was that?" he questioned as his eyes darted up to the ceiling where some of the gang members were still aiming fire, seemingly in an unchosen direction.

"The guy who's getting tired of saving your asses."

Ryder suddenly appeared by their side from one of the metal balconies overhead and dropped down before them with a narrow-eyed, impatient look. He had his snipper rifle slung over his back, usual black decked-out look, and two loaded gun holsters strapped to each thigh.

Maize had known since she first saw the red flashing signal of his snipper eye. That was his warning sign. An alert to tell her that it would be a good time to get ready to duck once he saw his opening.

And she gave it to him. Playing the act, and holding the gun to Alec's chest with the illusion that she was prepared pull the trigger. She was only able to complete the action knowing she wouldn't actually have to.

But the look Alec had had in his eyes...

She shook the vision away painfully.

All she could remember thinking at the moment for Ryder was; goddamn him and his last minute perfect timing.

She shot their saviour a wry look, speaking over the gunfire, she scolded, "Dammit I thought I told you not to get anymore involved!" She had never been so happy to see him.

He rolled his eyes and handed her a roll of knives from his back pocket. "What, no 'thanks Ryder'? No 'you just saved our asses, Ryder'? Nothing?" he questioned exasperatedly. "You ungrateful assholes."