Chapter 9 - Percy looks strange

I hated walking into the unknown. Unfortunately, that was pretty much what being a demigod was all about. 

The drive into the city was the longest of my life, even though it didn't actually take that long. All the other armed campers around me looked as anxious as I felt, weapons gripped tightly in white hands and short conversations being held in low voices. Most just sat still and stared out of the windows, although I did see a few glances sent my way, like they thought I was holding information out on them. 

I wish I had more information, but unfortunately Percy's message had not been very detailed. I was surprised that the 40 campers that I'd managed to gather had even answered the call, as brief as it had been. Although, if Percy was right, I supposed that this was the battle that we'd been preparing for for the last few years. Most demigods would rather be part of it than sitting back at camp and wait it out. 

I was deep in thought when my phone rang. Immediately all conversation in the van switched off as I snatched it out of my bag and checked to see that the incoming call was from Sally Jackson. Except when I answered the call, it wasn't Sally's voice that came through but Percy's. 

"Hey," he said. "You get my message?"

"Percy, where have you been?" I demanded, my relief at hearing his voice being pushed away by the frustration and fear that his disappearance had plagued me with. "Your message said almost nothing! We've been worried sick!"

"Some more than others," Connor Stoll snickered to his brother and a few other campers laughed. I decided to ignore them. 

"I'll fill you in later," Percy said. "Where are you?"

"We're on our way like you asked, almost to the Queens Midtown Tunnel. But, Percy, what are you planning? We've left the camp virtually undefended and there's no way the gods -"

"Trust me," he said, like that was the answer to everything. "I'll see you there." Then he hung up. 

I wanted to throw my phone out of the window of the van in frustration, and probably would have if I didn't have 15 campers plus Argus watching me, even as he drove. I forced a smile and tucked my hands into my lap to hide how they were shaking. 

"Percy's okay," I said. "We'll see him soon."

Most of the campers took that as a suitable answer and turned back to their anxious conversations or to stare out of the window again. Only Malcom remained watching me, his gaze showing his concern. I nodded tightly at him, and he nodded back, like he understood all the conflicting feelings that were swirling around in me. Which was ridiculous as I didn't even understand those feelings. 

For the rest of the drive, I focused on my knife, which I had strapped to my arm so it stayed close and ready. Looking at how small it was, I mentally slapped myself for not grabbing something larger, like a sword or something. What was a knife going to do if we were faced with Kronos' army, like Percy seemed to think?

But even as I reconsidered my choice in bringing it, I also knew that it was the right choice. Something about it felt right, like I was meant to have this weapon right at this moment. Maybe it was because of it's history, Luke having given it to me, or because it had been through so much with me, from before I came to camp and through all the quests I'd been on with Percy. 

For better or worse, the knife would be staying with me. 

----||=============>

Percy was waiting for us when we pulled up at the Empire State Building, Mrs O'Leary sitting impatiently behind him, like she'd prefer to be off sniffing cars and licking people.