Chapter 13 - Percy takes a quick dip

Thalia was the only Hunter that would hug the campers as we rushed to meet her, the rest of the Hunters preferring to stand back and watch, occasionally baring their teeth at any of the male campers if they got too close. But considering that they didn't shoot any of us, or sick their wolves on us, I considered it a pretty friendly reunion.

"Where have you been the last year?" Percy asked, pulling away from his hug with Thalia. "You've got, like, twice as many Hunters now!"

She laughed. "Long, long story. I bet my adventures were more dangerous than yours, Jackson."

"Complete lie."

"We'll see. After this is over, you, Annabeth and me: cheeseburgers and fries at that hotel on West Fifty-sixth."

"Le Parker Meridien," Percy supplied. "You're on. And, Thalia - thanks."

She shrugged, like her perfectly timed arrival wasn't the miracle that we'd needed. "Those monsters won't know what hit them. Hunters, move out!"

She slapped her silver bracelet and Aegis, her shield with the golden head of Medusa inset sprung into full form. Even though I'd seen it countless times before, the sight of it still made me shudder, and several of the other campers around me backed away in fear. 

Flashing one last wink towards Percy and I, Thalia took off jogging towards the Lincoln tunnel, the thirty Hunters and their wolves on her heel. If anyone could take down that tank, then I knew it would be them. 

"Thank the gods," I said as we lost sight of them. "But if we don't blockade the rivers from those boats, guarding the bridges and tunnels will be pointless."

"You're right," Percy said and I did my best to ignore the thrill that those two words always gave me. One way to always psych up a child of Athena was admitting that they were right. 

He turned to face the rest of the campers, his shoulders squared in determination. "You're the greatest heroes of this millennium," he told them. "It doesn't matter how many monsters come at you. Fight bravely, and we will win." He raised Riptide and bellowed, "FOR OLYMPUS."

We raised our weapons and yelled it back and for a moment, just one moment, I felt like we had hope. But that quickly died when the echo of our voices died in the face of the suffocating stillness of the sleeping city. 

----||===========>

When the rest of the campers had departed to head off to their defensive locations, Percy and I searched around for our own means of transportation. We originally thought of getting a car, but they were all crammed in together and it would have taken too long to move them all aside enough to get one out. And even if we did get one, then it would be near impossible to drive it down the streets where other still cars were parked haphazardly around. 

Instead, we chanced upon a red Vespa with an unconscious courier splayed across it. As carefully as we could, we dragged him off the scooter and laid him out on the sidewalk, doing our best to not drop him despite how heavy he was. 

I allowed Percy to drive, mainly because he was so keen to, but also so I could keep a better eye out for the statues on our way. We zipped down Broadway with me on the back, moving as fast as we could, but also having to make frequent stops to fix some dangerous situations. Most of it was moving sleeping mortals off the road and onto sidewalks, but we also extinguished a fire from a pretzel cart and caught a baby carriage that was rolling down a hill, only to find a sleeping poodle in it. Typical New York. 

We were passing Madison Square Park when I finally found what I was looking for. 

"Pull over," I told Percy.