Dark Times

The first week was rough, the Carrows were reviled by most of the students, especially when they began to introduce their methods of punishment – they called it punishment but really it was torture, of course Filch had been delighted when he was told that he could use his thumbscrews and chains to torment students. It was his wet dream come true I'm sure.

My turn for punishment had come on week three, I had been congratulating Ginny on making the Quidditch team once again but stopped when I noticed Astoria, Pansy and Millicent Bullstrode crowded around a tiny figure on the floor, Astoria was shrieking insults at the a terrified firstie who had her arms wrapped tightly around her knees in the foetal position on the floor. My blood boiled and before Ginny could stop me, I had stormed through the small crowd gathering around and planted myself in front of the poor girl.

'Get out of the way Black, this isn't your concern.' Pansy hissed.

'I decide what is and isn't my concern Parkinson.' I hissed back. 'What's she done?'

'She thinks she can talk about my boyfriend; I'm going to teach her a lesson she won't soon forget.' Astoria hissed.

I rolled my eyes and crouched to the girl's level, she was small, even for a first year and I gave her a gentle smile.

'All I said was that I thought he was handsome.' the girl sobbed.

'Don't mind Astoria, she thinks she's the best thing to hit Hogwarts since Harry Potter.' I whispered, smiling when it drew a small giggle out of her.

'Now you're laughing at me? You cheeky little bitch, you'll pay for this disrespect!' Astoria pulled out her wand and I jumped to my feet to copy the action.

'Tori, what's going on?' Daphne had waded through the crowd to check on her sister.

'Fuck off Daphne, this isn't your concern.'

Daphne pulled away from Astoria and a look of hurt flashed across her face, my heart ached for a second, I would give anything to have my brother here with me and Astoria had the gall to disrespect her sister when she was just looking out for her.

'Have you always been such a horrible bitch Astoria? You don't know how lucky you are to have your sibling here, where you know she's safe. And as for Zabini,' I gestured to him where he stood with folded arms and his usual stone faced exterior 'a first year isn't going to steal him from you.'

Astoria gaped at me like a broken fish before scrambling to find her words again.

'She should keep his name out of her mouth, she had no right.'

I don't know what possessed me, or where the bravado came from but I laughed in her face before uttering what very well could have been my last words if Astoria had been able to keep a level head.

'She said he was handsome, where's the harm? I think he's handsome too, you gonna put me in a ball on the floor too?'

I watched in a mix of amusement and horror as Astoria's lovely face contorted into a purple mask of rage and she threw her wand down and lunged at me, I quickly stepped to the side and she crashed to the floor. In a split second she had jumped to her feet again like some kind of deranged wildcat and began throwing slaps at me, I dodged her for the most part but she caught me with one and then I got mad so I did something stupid.

I broke her nose.

Astoria crumpled to the floor wailing and trying to staunch the blood with her hands, Daphne was at her side in a second tilting her head this way and that to assess the damage and trying to hush her inconsolable sister.

'Blaise, a hand please?' she snapped.

Zabini rolled his eyes and crouched down next to Daphne, the crowd began to disperse as the Professors followed the sound of Astoria's dramatic wailing. I pulled the first year to her feet and shoved her into Ginny's arms.

'Take her to the dorms, there's no sense in the Carrows catching us all. Go now!'

I urged them to go and they eventually complied, Ginny dragged the terrified eleven-year-old behind a nearby statue so that she could continue to observe for danger, I was now surrounded by Slytherins.

The Carrows arrived seconds later with McGonagall at their heels.

'What's happened here then?' Amycus sneered, his tiny eyes narrowed so much that they looked like slits as he assessed the situation.

'She broke my nose!' Astoria squealed as she pointed at me.

'Is this true Calliope?' McGonagall asked.

'Yes Professor. I told her that I thought Zabini was handsome and she came at me, it was self defense I swear.' I pleaded for her to understand.

'Be that as it may, you broke her nose and as such will have to be punished.'

I turned to face the Carrows knowing that they would be the ones to decide my fate. Alecto and Amycus exchanged gleeful glances as they decided what to do with me.

'Your punishment is to clean the entire Slytherin house this weekend, every inch of it from the common room to the dormitories to the toilets. By hand, no magic.'

I kept my face neutral but inside my heart was hammering in my chest, I was going to be in the Slytherin's space for hours with no wand to protect myself. If I was lucky, they would just maim me a little bit, if Astoria was there, I would be lucky to leave with my corpse intact.

McGonagall gave me a worried glance and shook her head with a sigh as the Carrows helped Astoria to the Hospital Wing.

'I always thought you were more like your father but after this outburst I see you have your mothers temper. The Evans women tend to have a bit more fire in their blood, the Black's tend to have more...' she paused as she tried to find the right words.

'Hatred, vitriol and darkness?' I supplied with a cheery smile.

'Indeed. Take care of yourself Miss Black.'

And with that she was gone and I was left alone to feel the fear creeping up my bones to get to my heart.