Disaster

<- Day 3 | Sect 2 | Year 15 ->

A light snow drifted down from the clouds over the mountainside. The evening sun peeked through the thick clouds here and there, but it was mostly grey. Pilzi smiled as he watched Nel and Koya chase each other from treetop to treetop. The pine trees here closely resembled some species back home on Asturn.

He ran his hand along one of the trunks and plucked a chunk of bark. He showed it to Sarids. "What about this one?"

Sarids sniffed it, his breath fogging up the air. He wrinkled his snout and stuck out his tongue in disgust. "I will get sick if I even lick it. You creatures are weird."

Pilzi chuckled before tossing the bark into his mouth and swallowing it. "It's an acquired taste, but you are still missing out."

Sarids walked on down the path, uninterested. Pilzi was grateful for him joining them on their vacation. Not only was he a great companion, he was an extra security blanket in addition to the well-concealed tranquilizer in Pilzi's back pocket. He was too afraid not to have one on him at all times, not even in his own house.

He padded up next to Sarids, who had tightened the hood of his blue winter jacket over his eyes, leaving just his snout sticking out. He did that from time to time to keep his eyes warm. Pilzi smirked. He wore only a thin shirt and shorts. Sarids was covered in layers of clothing that even completely enclosed his tail, and he still complained about being cold.

Sarids' booted talon slid on a patch of ice, and he flailed his arms and tail to keep himself from falling. He growled as he pulled the hood back so he could see. "When will we get back to the city?"

"Within the next hour."

"You said that an hour ago."

"Our hours are longer than yours, remember?"

Nel yelled down from high up in a tree. "We're not far! I can see the city from here."

"See?" Pilzi said with mild satisfaction, sighing. He pondered the snow as it fell. For a moment, it looked like ash. He had seen so much of it since the more uncontrollable riots had started.

He shook his head. He didn't want to think about it.

They returned to the edge of the city just as nightfall hit the shores of the Second Great Sea. City lights twinkled on one by one. The outposts on the distant icebergs glowed faintly on the horizon. The waves lapping against the city border were especially soothing tonight, so Pilzi led the group along the sidewalk.

Sarids stomped his talons on the pavement. "I think I need new shoes. These are uncomfortable."

"I can help you look," Koya said, smiling and leaning against his leg. "I know everything there is to know about shoes and more!"

Sarids gazed at Pilzi as if asking for permission. Pilzi waved at the two of them. "Go have fun. I can't stand endless shopping anyways."

Koya whooped as she climbed onto Sarids' back. She thrust a finger forward with conviction. "Now, go over there!"

He begrudgingly obliged. As they made their way toward the array of shops, Pilzi trudged over to the railing overlooking the thin strip of beach that stretched off to the horizon. He sat on one of the middle bars and laid his head on one of the upper bars.

After a few seconds, he allowed his eyes to flutter shut. The sound of the pounding waves washed over him as if he were down there playing in them. He tried to listen for birds, but avian life was rare near Soruvis' northern pole. He heard Nel sit on the railing next to him, but she remained silent.