Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was a week later—a week of peace and relative tranquility—before Eric Dayton returned. The base was its usual hub of activity. Trainees were being put through their routines, and the students of the college were being made to chip in. Anna found herself trudging along with the best of them, but only because they were kind enough to linger behind, allowing her to catch up. Rafe was back to his usual indomitable self, pushing his charges remorselessly through the typically harsh routines. Anna was reduced to gasping for a breath as she pushed herself to keep up with the rest, and as usual, Pat fared no better. They both lacked stamina. Despite the months of rigorous training they had been put through, they were still sadly lacking when it came to everyone else.

The word of Eric's return came whispered out to them in passing by a group of trainees running past them from the opposite direction. Anna's stomach clenched and fell hollow at the news. The drive to pick up her gait and rush back to base so she could be there for Rafe had her sprinting like never before. She caught up with the rest of the team, and her group of loyal supporters effortlessly fell into line beside her. It was only then that she realized it was all Rafe's doing. This constantly being surrounded by her friends whenever she was alone—he was protecting her throughout her day, every day. Even here, on the rough course, doing laps, he was still sheltering her from afar.

Anna had never felt so protected. It made her all the more eager to return to his side. The bone-wearing fatigue was duly forgotten, and the urge to return to Rafe's side pumped an adrenaline rush that carried her the rest of the way, shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the team. It was only when she arrived, panting and out of breath, to rest her eyes on Rafe, running them over him to check that he was still in one piece, that she gave into the urge to fall onto her knees and dry heave. She hadn't realized just how anxious she'd been about him 'til then.

Rafe dismissed the class then moved to fall onto his own knees in front of Anna. "You've heard?"

Anna could only nod her head before lifting worried eyes to run them anxiously over him again.

"I am fine," Rafe reassured her, even though the pallor of his skin said otherwise. Anna reached out a hand to silently grasp his, and then Rafe was rising to his feet, drawing her up along with him.

Why did that monster have to come back here? What did he hope to achieve?

They didn't have long to find out. Not long after, Eric made it a point to swing by. Anna rejoined Rafe after her next class in favor of keeping Rafe company while he put his next batch of trainees through a strenuous workout. It was already lunch break, but Rafe wasn't finished. She could tell he was working off his steam on his poor trainees, but she couldn't think of a subtle way to intervene so instead stood silently by, cringing over his every barked command. The guys were already starting to shoot her dirty looks. It was obvious they thought she should do something to intervene.

But the next bell rang, marking lunch was underway. Anna's stomach grumbled with its own impatience, but Rafe seemed oblivious to anyone's suffering but his own inner torment. It was only apt that this torment manifested itself in its physical form not long after Eric Dayton decided to drop by.

"I didn't get to congratulate you on your win," Eric offered with a friendly smile that screamed anything but friendly as he reached, proffering his hand.

Rafe stood strong and unwavering, even though Anna herself flinched on the inside as Rafe met his handshake and returned it with a firm shake of his own.

Turning back to his class, Rafe announced without ceremony, "Lunchtime. Get to it."

The class was quick to leap to their feet then, all signs of fatigue now forgotten in favor of rushing out that door before Rafe could change his mind. The announcement had the opposite effect on Anna herself. She lost any desire to fetch herself a meal. Instead, she stood there on anxious feet, watching Rafe stare down his adversary.