Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Surprises—that was one aspect of fate she hadn't expected to get called on so soon. But that was exactly what was staring her in the face at Pat's parents' little gathering. They hadn't lingered long at her mum's, after tea. As soon as Pat rushed back, he'd grabbed a bite of the confection and gulped down his by-then chilled tea before hauling Anna back up to her room with the all many bags he'd purchased lugged up between them.

The purchases included lingerie and a few dresses for herself and a silk tie with a dinner jacket for Rafe. Anna was instructed to dress before Pat ran back down to hand over his purchases for Rafe. In short order, the three of them were spruced up and presentable. Anna wore a flowy, deep-blue wraparound dress that came up to mid-calf. The wraparound bodice had a low neckline that more than adequately displayed her charms to perfection. Wisps of her navy-blue lacy bra could be seen enough to draw Rafe's appreciative gaze and keep it there.

Her hair was brushed loose then tied back in a lazy chignon with tendrils of hair combed across her forehead to fall free and frame her face. Her mother's pearl earrings were the only adornment she wore, and Rafe's fingers itched to close around the velvet case he had taken to carrying with him everywhere he went. The ring would have looked perfect on her finger with that dress. The yearning to pull it out there and then was held in check only by Pat's unflinching glare, a disappointing reminder that now was not the time to spark the ever-present fear that his time may never come.

They arrived fairly late. The guests were already seen arriving when Rafe drove up his battered-looking Jeep only to pull up beside limos and other luxury vehicles. He ignored the stares directed their way as he stepped out of the Jeep, not bothering to turn off the engines. Anna slid over to his seat, only to have him field her exit. He straightened her onto her feet before stepping back to allow Pat to join them. Then he tossed the keys to the valet, and the trio moved into the mansion ahead of the queue of guests that were slowly making their way in.

"Small gathering?" Anna simply had to ask, but Pat only nodded.

"By my mother's standards, yes."

They moved through the luxuriously furnished mansion, not pausing to admire one of the many outlandish displays as Pat looked on searchingly for his mother. That was when she spotted him. The surprise.

"Is that... Dan Andrews? The tech billionaire, my intended's older brother, and the love of my life? Yes, it is." Pat was quick to sigh his confirmation. Anna turned narrowed eyes to catch the sight of Pat's baby blues staring fixedly, not on Rachel Andrews, his intended, but her brother. She foresaw every kind of disaster actually happening, but none of that was what held her transfixed. She had seen Dan Andrews before, and more importantly, she'd met his grandmother. The older women stood by his side, talking animatedly to who must be Pat's mother. The resemblance was outstanding. The same blond locks and baby blues on Pat were beautiful, but on his mother, positively angelic. She could not possibly be as mean as he made her out to be. But then her gaze turned back to Pat and narrowed on him.

"Stop drooling." She couldn't believe she was saying that. For once, he was drooling at someone other than Rafe, and she was actually telling him to stop. But he had to get his act together, or there would be no news to tell. Already, they were gathering curious looks. It was actually when Dan's grandmother's attention was drawn to where they stood that Pat's mother noticed his presence at all.

"There he is!" she exclaimed before waving Pat over to her side. With a muffled groan, Pat did as bid, and Anna was quick to stride forward by his side. "Don't worry," she muttered to Pat only half-jokingly. "We have your flanks."

The growl that met her ears said clearly he was not amused. Anna exchanged a glance with Rafe to find him openly smirking at her comment. It was one of the many battle strategies he'd taught them—always have your mate's flanks, and so they did, with the both of them on either side of Pat, walking a pace behind. He was as protected as he could hope to be. Physically, at least.