Chapter 10: Exposure

The fresh bloodstains on my clothing, my hands, and my face, the constant sound of creaking machinery pounding itself into my mind, it was never an ideal situation that I would put myself in.

However, for the sake of Mary and me, I had to get us out of this hellhole, no matter the cost. I glanced back at Mary, who was lugging herself behind me. I could not blame her, not after we practically got forced to murder a few dozen innocent people for the sake of our survival.

The same sight of the tunnel greeted us, and we dragged ourselves across to the next room, where the next trial awaits. While we were walking, the dreading whirring of the speaker greeted our ears, and I could hear his voice resonate throughout the entire facility. "Hello, my fellow test hamsters. I trust that you two had great fun getting to know one another in greater detail while going through the challenging trials that I have specially provided for you! However, if you are worrying that the trials are coming to an end, fret not, for there will be a grand finale to celebrate your graduation from this survival course.

Guess what? The grand finale will be in the next room and trust my words, you will love and adore it with all of your heart and all of your soul. " Laughter then proceeded to resonate throughout the entire facility.

We looked at one another while the familiar whirring of the speaker faded. The next room is not far, and we are just a few steps away from the so-called grand finale that he spoke of. I held Mary's hand, and thus, we made our way to the final trial.

The final room didn't seem like much, didn't seem as sadistic and psychotic as before. It was just two leather chairs placed in the middle of this huge room, and the chairs didn't seem rigged with explosives as well...something is off.

We made our way precariously towards the two leather chairs, half-expecting that the chairs would instantaneously explode in our faces. Luckily, that was not the case. Will the grand finale finally be our freedom?

Oh deary me, I was so wrong.

We took our seats in the huge room reinforced by several layers of steel. For a moment, it was deathly silent, as if a hole would suddenly open up and swallow us whole.

Then, the all too familiar whirring sound came to our ears. We turned around, and we saw the speaker, not too soon, the all too familiar voice pierced our ears.

"Helllooo! My fellow test hamsters, welcome to the grand finale that I have so so so specially prepared for you! I am sure that you are so excited about it, are you? Are you? ARE YOU?"

I looked at the speaker with disdain and unparalleled disgust. With a half-hearted voice I then spoke, "Yes, yes, we are so excited for your grand finale."

A burst of laughter came out from the speaker. "Wonderful, simply splendid! I love your enthusiasm so much, both of you. Well, not both of you, simply because your dear wife would not even bother to serve as my entertainment." I slammed the chair and shouted, "You! After all that you did to us, you are the last person to have those words leave that puny mouth of yours!"

The same burst of laughter came out of the speaker, "Well relax my dear test hamster, you would need to conserve that energy for the grand finale, is it not? I have also provided you with that splendid feast, aside from the fact that it was made out of human meat, that is."

Not allowing me to cut in, the voice continued, "Ah almost forgot. Let me explain the grand finale that I have prepared for you, shall we?"

Suddenly, the whole room rocked and we stepped back instinctively. Gears shifted, machinery creaked, and a boxing ring emerged from the gap in the ground. Then, a door in the side of the room opened, and out came our friends and families with cloths muffling their mouths.