Chapter 11

Conveniently, Sungjae's apartment has a huge fish tank built-in between his bookcases. He placed the fish in it yesterday night.

Wearing a face mask and apron, he waits for his fish to finish pooping. With a small net, he scoops up all the brown strings.

Sungjae sighs. At least now, he retrieved it before it starts eating it again. No disasters today. All this fish does is eat, poop, then eats its poop. He can't comprehend why on earth this fish eats its own poop. He also never thought he'll use this fish tank for its actual purpose. Up until now, it has been used as a humidifier for the apartment.

A gift is supposed to be something that the receiver wants! He contemplates whether to give it back to her or not. His phone vibrates. Earlier he texted her to take back the fish. 

She replies with: "I'm kind of busy today, please look after it well."

Gosh. So Annoying.

Observing his small gold fish swim around in the tank, he wonders what he should do with it.

--

In his apartment, he continues working on his manuscript. He can't help but peep at his gold fish. He goes back to typing but every now and then he gapes at it. The fish bothers him. Why does it keep wandering around? It's so disturbing.

Does Sooyoung really think it will help calm his nerves down? Because he thinks there's no way. He wonders if the fish is hungry. He grabs the bag of feeder and gives his fish some food. He never thought about keeping a pet, but he can't just throw it out.

"I know you did nothing wrong...you're just trying to live." He talks to his fish, "To be honest, it's not like I don't like you." He watches his fish nom on the food. "I'm just..." brown string wiggles out of the fish and it starts to eat it.

"Ugh! It's eating and pooping at the same time! Choose either of them!!" *nom nom* "Uh? Wait don't!! Don't eat it!! No!!!" *nom*

--

[at the bookstore]

"7,800 won please"

"Thank you." Sungjae studies his purchase: 'How to Raise a Goldfish - For Dummies.'

As he walks home, he mumbles to himself, "Well, I won't keep it. But, it keeps pooping. I just want to make sure it's not sick and if the fish tank gets dirty, it'll be a problem. And I should handle it with care since it's a living thing."

"Mom!!! He's talking to himself!"

"Hush don't look at him!!!!!"

--

At home, Sungjae continues flipping through his book. He sits on the floor next to the tank. "Feed them twice a day. As much food as a goldfish can eat in 3 minutes." He focuses on every word of the guide. "Goldfish sometimes eat their own waste which is normal. They might die from overeating, so try not to feed them too much food."

So stupid... "It's normal to eat its own waste...? Dangling poop bothers me... "Anyway, I should be careful not to feed it too often. Did it poop often because I fed it so often? What am I doing? It's only a lump of ..." He turns to stare at his fish.

"It's looking at me." *pop* *pop* "It seems to be talking to me." *pop* Sungjae raises an index finger up against the tank. His fish swims towards it. *pop*

"Do you..." *pop* "feel lonely like I do?"

--

[at the studio]

"It's finished! Well done!" The photographer claps her hands together. She thanks Sooyoung for being a great model.

Finally, the shoot is over. She was able to absorb some energy but again, all the models were bland. She checks her notifications. Huh? Chicken changed his profile picture? "I don't think he put any picture on his profile. When did he change it to a picture of the goldfish?" She laughs to herself. "He told me to take it back but I guess he likes it."