Twenty Two

Nick

12 Hours Earlier

Ever since I laid eyes on Luke, I knew what he was, hell, everyone knew. He was practically glowing in goodness. That white glow that basically surrounds him, any demon could spot that from a mile away. And it only grew as time went on. Then Ashton had to get involved. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, at first, it was then my dad, well, I think of him like a father figure to me. Anyways, my dad said it wasn't a bad thing, that we just had to wait and watch them to unleash chaos on each other. I've always hated Ashton, we were once friends, but then he decided to ditch me for the ones he has now. That's when Devon took me in.

He's helped me throughout the years and I'm forever thankful. But ever since I told him about Luke, he's been very, very invested. So day in and day out, we've been trying to find a way to get Luke to come with us. To forget Ashton. But we all knew that wouldn't happen. Then Devon did some reading and called some old friends who knew a thing or two. Then he told us to stop what we were doing. That we didn't have to plan anymore. He didn't tell us why, but we never question him. Ever.

That was 3 months ago, now, I'm growing curious, mad even. I've been meaning to ask him, but I know I shouldn't. I can't help, but wonder why we're all sitting around doing nothing. When we should obviously be doing something.

"Devon." I call. Everyone in the barn stops and turns to me. "What are we waiting for? We've been waiting for three fucking months. Why did we stop planning? Shouldn't we be doing something?" The building becomes deadly quiet, the only noise booming through were his heavy footsteps growing nearer to me. Suddenly his hand wraps itself around my throat, gripping it tightly.

"Did you just question me? I'm sorry, I thought I was in charge here. Do you have doubts on how I run things? Please, tell me if you do." He mocks, knowing fully well that I wasn't able to speak because I couldn't obviously and the only sounds that did come out my mouth were gasps for air. He lets go of my throat and I bend over with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath.

"Well, since people are starting to doubt me." He starts which I know that is directed towards me. "I'll tell you why we've been doing nothing." Everyone gathers around him forming a circle. "Luke is an angel, Ashton is a demon. They're dating yes, but we know they'll fall in love. That's their first mistake. Everyone knows angels and demons don't mix. Ever. What happens when a demon falls in love with an angel is something that no ones ever witnessed, only heard stories of. When a demon falls in love with an angel and if the angel reciprocates the feelings back, then they switch. No one knows why or what for. That's how it is. The demon becomes an angel and the angel becomes a demon. I'm not sure if there is a way of switching them back, but when the time comes, we'll get Luke and that's how we get him to stay a demon. Forever. With us, because he is almost a pure angel, not quite which is fine, but still, when the switch happens, the abilities they have stay with their body so Luke will be one of the most powerful demons. That is what we're waiting for."

I knew I shouldn't have doubted him. I'm so stupid, I also know he's mad at me. Choking me was one way he gave it away, but the other was the way he looked at me after he was done talking. "Nick." He called me.

"I want you to follow Luke around. God knows where he is Ashton is bound to be. Let me know if you find anything interesting." I nod and headed out of the barn.

I stop at Luke's house, parking my car across the street, making sure I was very subtle, so it didn't look suspicious. As I watched him carefully through his window, I knew Ashton wasn't there. Which was perfect for me, even more perfect when I see his parents aren't home either.

So I disappear from my car and appear in his bedroom. At first, he didn't notice me, the only thing he noticed was the stupid demon alarm blaring throughout the house. I know that scared him, I can just feel his fear, when he turned it off, he went back into his room, not noticing me at first. When he did, he jumped in fear and threw a pillow at me.

A pillow? Really?

"W-what're you doing here? Get out!" He yelled. He was going to use his abilities on me, but I was quicker and used mine before he could. I had him stuck against the wall not being able to move. "Poor Lukey, I thought you'd be quicker than that."

"What do you want?" He asks. "Oh I don't know. What do you want? For Ashton that is." I lie knowing he'd be completely stupid to fall for it. "What? Y-you don't have Ashton." He says.

"I do. You don't know how much he begged us to not hurt you. Of course, that means nothing when he dies." I smirk watching his face falter into tears. "Don't kill him. Please." He begs.

"Well, do you have something I want?" I pull a knife out and drag it along his skin. "What I really want, is your soul. Your pure soul. I'll give you 5 years, that should be enough time to get your life started. Give me your soul and I'll spare Ashton."

"If I give you my soul, Ashton won't be hurt?" I nod,"That's right." He bites his lip as he's thinking. "Okay."

I smirk proudly,"Now get out!" He yells as I release my hold on him. He was about to shove me but I disappeared well before he could. I stay perched in my car as I watch him pace around his room. I read his mind, he was contemplating on whether or not to tell Ashton. He figured if he didn't, Ashton wouldn't have to worry and they could live their life as normally as possible, so that's what he was going to do.

He picked up his phone to call Ashton to see if he was alright, I got to tell you, the face he had when he realized we didn't have Ashton was priceless, still, poor old Lukey didn't tell what happened. He's so stupid, I can't believe he actually fell for that.

Technically, I wasn't supposed to make deals like this, it takes years to actually master how to do it perfectly without any mishaps, but I'd say, I did it pretty well, not to get too cocky or anything. Minutes passed and I see Ashton arrive. I duck down in my car so he wouldn't see me and Luke acted like nothing happened. He kept on smiling and be how he normally is. Poor Luke, doesn't know what he got himself into.