The reaping.

It is long after the sun has risen before I, rise myself. My mother and younger brother have both already woken up, judging by the fact that their old wooden beds are empty. I trudge down the stairs to see them in the kitchen. It then dawns on me that it is reaping day. My stomach knots at the thought of the games.
"Morning," says my mother, Jill, "before we get ready, you have to have breakfast. Eggs this morning."
I'm happy to know that my family don't seem phased by the thought of the reaping like I do.
My mother worries for us, because this year I am 17 and my brother is 15. Our names are in multiple times.
We live in district 7. The lumber district. But we get some training in with the axes, which is useful. My family work in the produce shop. We sell basic things, like rice and sugar, as well as canned food. We are, by no means the wealthiest family in district 7, but we earn more than some of the other workers, which is good for us.
After eating my eggs I scrub myself clean, and get dressed into a light green dress that cuts off just above the knee. I put my red hair into a bun at the top of my head and look at myself in the scratched mirror. I have a million freckles and a crooked nose. I am better fed than some of the other children, but I am lucky to have some meat on me for winter, when supplies start running out.
My mother, brother and I begin to walk to the justice hall. My stomach does that knot again and I look at Mitch's face, it washes out. I ask him if he is okay and he just tells me that he thinks that we will be fine and I should not worry.
Before I know it, we are standing on opposite halves, boys and girls and I can't find my brothers' face anywhere.
Our ditzy district 7 escort Zoe, waddles up to the stage in all green. Her whole body is green, even her hair, skin and eyes. At lease she tries to show off the fact that she is district 7's escort.
Zoe shows us the video from the Capitol, same one as last year.
"I think we shall start with the men this year!" she sounds excited. Excited for what? Our probable death?
She swings her thin wrist around and slowly chooses a slip of white paper.
"Gregory Peters!"
A thin boy with brown hair looks around and slowly starts to walk up to Zoe. He looks like he is going to cry, and he does. Tears streaming down his face. I can see the pain in his eyes.
At least it wasn't Mitch, my brother, for that, I am thankful.
"Ladies!"
Zoe shoves her hand into the glass bowl and stirs it around, until she settles on a slip of paper.
My stomach does a triple knot.
"Aubry Myers!"
My stomach drops all together.
I look around me and slowly start to walk up to the stage. This must me a nightmare, this can't be real, not me no!
I look at district 7 from the stage.
"Ladies and gentlemen, your district 7 tributes for the 72nd annual Hunger games!"