Train ride

My heart sinks as I realise that I could be dead in a matter of weeks. I look over at Greg and see that he is still crying. Trust me, I want to cry as well but I damn well know I will only loose sponsors. I realise that my mouth has been open the whole time and I quickly close it. I can see my brother holding his stomach crying and my mother hugging one of her friends. They are both crying for me.
I know they think I'm going to die but I must try to push through the doubts because that will surely get me dead.
Zoe escorts us to a quiet room with dark red sofas that are very fine. I don't think I've seen quality like this before. I sit down and feel the sofa as my brother and mother burst through the door, my brother hold me tight and tells me that I can do anything.
"You can do it Aubry, you are strong, I believe in you."
Mitch telling me this brings me to tears. I tell him that I will do it for him, I will win for him.
My mother joins in.
"Aubry, I love you, no matter what happens, just know that I am always thinking of you."
A peacekeeper interrupts us and tuggs my family away. I take a deep breath.
I'm in the Hunger Games. I have a 1 in 24 chance of living, and even if I do, I am mentally scarred for the rest of my life. Well then.
I am taken onto a shiny silver train that has "district 7" on the side.
I walk inside and my jaw drops.
The interior of the train in covered in fine green velvet and silver trays of delicate pastries. I sit down on one of the green chairs and look around. Before I know it, I see my last glimpse of District 7 as the window turns shiny and I can only see my own reflection.
"Greg and Aubry, meet your District 7 mentor, Ryan Hunter."
Before I know it I see a gorgeous man walk into our cart. He won two years ago, when he was 17. I've seen him before, but not in person, and when I look at him, I get butterflies.
"I'm Ryan. I'll be your mentor." he shakes Greg's hand first and then looks over at me, no, he stares at me for a moment, and I can tell he feels something about me too. "And your name is?"
"I'm Aubry." he smiles at me and I smile back.
"Well I should give you some time and I'll talk to you later."
As Ryan leaves I notice a scar on his forehead, almost disguised by his short blonde hair.

I escape to the book room, and start reading a book about poison plants. I try to focus on the book but so many thoughts run through my head every second. The fact I'm in the Hunger Games, that I might die, the fact I have to kill people, my family... and Ryan.
Just as I think of him he walks into the room with two tea cups. he passes one to me as he sits himself in a red recliner chair.
"Thank you." I say as I smile.
"Your welcome, I was just wondering how you are."
"Not good, you know, I'm in the Hunger Games. I have a 1 in 24 chance of living."
For some sick reason, we start to laugh. maybe I'm in denial, maybe that's way I'm coping right now.
"I know how you feel." Ryan says smiling.
I don't know what to say to him so I just ask how he is.
"I'm okay right now. I'm sad, but it's okay. You know you are the only person that has asked me that since I won." He kind of sadly smiles at me but I see him blush and so do I.
"You have gorgeous eyes." he says to me. What am I supposed to say to that? I've never had anyone besides my family compliment me like that before.
I notice his grey-blue eyes.
"So do you."
He looks at me for a second and then looks down, is he embarrassed? Ryan stands up and takes my empty cup from me. Then we walk out into the living compartment. The oak table is filled with gorgeous foods, groosling, potatoes, gravy, definitely the most delicious things I have ever seen.
I sit down and fill my plate.
Oh my. The food is hot and tasty. It's the best meal that has ever gone down my throat. Surprisingly the table is dead silent.
I am so stuffed I don't think I could fit in dessert so I say goodnight to the table and go to my room. I take a good look around. I have my own bathroom including a shower, a luxury I have never used, we have baths in the districts. I take off my clothes and as my dress falls to the floor I see a small note fly out of the pocket. I recognise my mothers handwriting. When did she slip this in?
It reads,
'My dear daughter, please know that your brother and I will always love you, and you are strong. You can do this if you want it enough. You have to fight. Do what you need to do and we will see you in the Victors Village hopefully if you return. Keep a good mind. I believe in you.'
It brings me to tears. Big, fat tears roll down my cheek. I have to train, I have to fight for them.
I quickly remember I am naked, so I slip into the shower. There are all different taps and buttons, so I push and pull a few and what ends up is a luke warm, mint scented shower.
I wrap a soft towel around me as I chose my night clothes. I just end up putting on some underwear and a soft nightshirt.
My head hardly hits the pillow before I am asleep.

The next morning I wake up to the sight of Ryan standing at the side of my bed. He grins as my eyes squint adjusting to the light.
"Morning sunshine. Time for tactics and toast."
I smirk back and laugh at him.
He gives me a little chuckle for my reaction as I get out of bed. he looks me up and down and smiles. He leaves the room obviously hoping I didn't see him look at me.
Now I know why he smiled, I'm not wearing a bra and this nightshirt is see-through. Smart one Aubry.
So, feeling self conscious, yet slightly smug, I put on a bra and a flower printed dress. I look at myself in the bathroom mirror and throw my red hair into a braid down my back.
"Well since it's time for tactics and toast, I better have some of that jam." I say pointing to the jam to the left of Ryan's hand. He passes it to me and I spread a thick layer onto my toast.
"So I thought we should start with sponsors. They will save your life." He looks at Greg and I to make sure we are listening.
"Sometimes you have to act for the cameras, and throw on your charm for a minute. A bandage or a pack if matches could save your life."
I try to take it in, so I nod and go over what he says in my head.
"Next, don't go into the cornucopia unless there is something very close to you. Be in and out, you don't want to stay in there any more than you have to. Your decision to grab that spear, could mean that you die. Be very careful."