Goodbyes

Jane:

I woke up in my room looking around, wondering how I got in here. Owen must have carried me up. I felt a lump in my throat. Today was the day I'd have to say goodbye to him.

Today was the day I had to say goodbye to everybody.

There was a pain in my chest. I was saying goodbye to my life.

I folded the blankets on my bed and set them in a bag along with my pillow.

Everything else I needed was already in boxes, ready to be loaded into my car.

After getting ready I walked down stairs, already tearful as I realized this would be my last breakfast with my family.

I walked down the stairs to see Owen helping my mom bring dishes to the table.

"Hey look who's finally up!" He said, walking over to hug me.

"Hey! It's not like I slept that long!" I shoved him. "What? Is 9:30 too late for you your majesty?" I said cocking an eyebrow.

"Shut up shortie" He said, shoving me back.

"Will you kids quit it so we can have a peaceful last breakfast together?" My mom asked, annoyed.

"No can do Mrs. Gower!" Owen laughed and I joined him. Why was he making it even harder to leave?

After breakfast my mom, dad, and Owen helped put all the rest of my boxes in the back of the car. Before we knew it, it was time for me to say goodbye.

—————————————————————

Owen:

I watched as Jane hugged each of her parents, all three of them crying, telling each other how much they'd miss one another.

It was one big, sloppy mess. But then it was my turn, I wasn't ready, I actually never would be. How do you say goodbye to someone like Jane? My best friend, my other half, my partner in crime, my childhood, my soul mate. How on earth was I going to say goodbye to my everything?

Jane slowly walked over to me, not meeting my gaze.

"I don't even know what to say." She said, still staring at the floor.

"I do." I began. "Jane, thanks for these ten years. They honestly have been the best of my entire life. You have no idea how much you mean to me. You've been with me through every step of my life. But I want you to know, you moving away is not the end of us. Jane Gower you will never be able to get rid of me." I said as tears continuously rolled down my cheeks.

Now it was me that was staring at the floor.

"You'll always be my best friend Owen, thank you for sticking around a crazy girl like me." She cried, now hugging me tightly. I took in the comfort knowing that I wouldn't be able to have this whenever I wanted after today. "Please don't ever forget me slugger, okay?"

"Never" I whispered, hugging her tighter.

—————————————————————

Jane:

Owen let me go and began taking off his sweatshirt. It was his favorite, a gift to him from me when he was 15. It was our high school logo on the front but I had personalized it by having "your majesty" put on the back. A little gift to embarrass him a bit and remind him who he really was when he played football with the big shots of the high school.

"I have a gift for you." He said smiling. "I'm gonna let you take this with you."

"What! Owen, no! That's your favorite! I got it for you! You have to keep it so you remember me!" I protested.

"There's no way I'd forget you, that's never going to happen." He said, pushing the sweatshirt back to me. "I want you to have it. I even wore it this morning so it smelt like me!" He laughed.

"Wow how thoughtful!" I teased. I glanced at my phone, it really was time for me to go. "Alright I'll take it okay?" He nodded approvingly. "But I have to leave now." I said, tearing up again.

After another group hug and promises to text and call I reluctantly got in my car. As I drove off I saw Owen on the curb waving, tears pooled in his eyes.

Why did I have to leave him like this?

I watched him become smaller and smaller and soon disappear. My heart lurched. I wanted him. I wanted him so bad it physically hurt me. But I would never have that again. We weren't kids anymore and Owen and I would never be together. My whole world was turned upside down and shook. No, forget my world being changed. He was my world. And I I just lost it. Owen and I would never be the same.

I stopped the car two blocks down from my house to try and calm myself down. I was sobbing, shaking so bad that I couldn't even take a drink from my water bottle. I just wept and wept.

Finally I gained enough strength to pull out Owen's sweatshirt and pull it over my head. It was way to big for me but I didn't mind. I really did smell just like him. It was soothing and helped me calm my nerves a bit.

When I finally had a hold of myself again, I started my car and continued the long drive away from everything I knew. Away from everything I ever wanted. All left in the dust.