Domus Pacis 4

Fr. Nicholas couldn’t believe his ears. An ordinary friend? Nothing more nothing less? Someone to while away the time with before service? He had walked in on that part of her conversation with Tina.

His chest suddenly felt physically painful. Was this how his boss felt when Ann, his close friend, left for the North without a goodbye? The older man had been devastated for a few days.

He walked towards Clementina who was setting the table for dinner. She looked up and stopped what she was doing when she saw him.

“Father, you’re looking better.”

“Yes, thank you Tina. I have a question for you please and I want you to be honest with me.” He sat at the table.

“Okay Father.”

“What can you tell me about Tess and people of the opposite sex?” He was going to be direct with his questions.

“Oh, that one? She is a very randy girl oh. Used to date Austin, Vincent and Basil back then. She was in year one in the University here when she got pregnant. Though it was covered up, but few of us found out. She moved to Gaye City University after. I heard from my cousin there that she has a son. Now three years old. Still hasn’t learned her lessons though. She cannot wait to get to youth camp, so she said.”

Fr. Nicholas was quiet long after that. His heart squeezed tightly in his chest. Tess has a son? So, he was really just a fool. She played him.

He fell for a girl for the first time since he was ordained and it ended like this. It suddenly didn’t feel like he was in a Domus Pacis anymore. It was a house of pain and not peace.

                                ***

Fr. Nicholas threw the small phone against the wall and the sound of the shatter echoed the sound of his own heart. He had messed up. Big time.

He had let his heart think for him instead of his brain. After discussing with his boss, Father had informed him that he suggested Tessa’s transfer to her parent.

She was a victim of rape and she got pregnant after.
How she refused abortion despite pressure from people. How she was known to be one of the most decent girls in the church before she left.

He had jumped to conclusions too soon. He had accused her after Tina spoke to him that day. It was Holy Thursday and Tessa was no longer picking his calls. He didn’t see her in church either.

Despite her pleas, he had not listened. He thought she really was trying to make a fool out of him. He remembered telling her to never call him again, in the coldest voice he could muster.

He overheard a few choristers talking about how she had moved back to Gaye city for personal reasons. He had rushed back to his room after the washing of feet to call her and she wasn’t picking anymore.

Oh God, what have I done?

                                ***

As Tessa waited in line for confession she reflected on the pains of the last few days.

She never should have lied about the reasons for moving to Gaye City University. But she didn’t think he would take Tina’s words over hers. Something else must have triggered that unbelief.

He was the one using her, wasn’t he? He had Ann after all. She knew she was going to be fine.  Love in the Domus Pacis was fun while it lasted.

As she knelt at the confessional with a heavy heart, she wished for a better Easter.

“Bless me Father for I have sinned….”

A/N I hate heartbreaks 😭