Chapter 1.0: Turning Point

Disclaimer: Chapter gets very political. The spoken lessons are no representation of my beliefs. I am no fascist, but instead a democratic socialist. Take the more cynical approaches when looking at the history here.

Following Unknown
Unknown Location, CSA
5/23/2222, 05:38:41.81

He was sitting in a control room full of other people. One particular screen interested him, out of the fifteen there. A boy with black hair, and amber eyes. While his hair was straight, it seemed to have a natural penchant for messiness. The boy seemed injured, but he didn't care. He just went through the people who were hurting him, carrying someone who looked like company of the boy, with her blue hair, and dead-pale skin. Why was he carrying her? What significance did she have to him? A lover? No, too young. A sister? Too unrelated biologically. Black hair was a dominant gene. Blue may also be a dominant gene, but this was too light of a shade for it. Maternal twin? Perhaps. The man had seen weirder.

Anyway, he was getting off track. "Subject 70-HN is doing well in his surroundings. Should the operation commence?" The guys around the other fourteen screens looked at him, and then came over, two by two.

The leader, whom he was not, finally came to check it out. His disgruntled tone was what everyone was used to by now, but what scared them was the fact that he had a smile on his face. He didn't usually smile, so it was unnerving. "Stage Four may commence. Get to work, gentlemen."

Without a word more, each of us flipped levers in order of number through each person. When the thirtieth one was flipped, the subject 70:HN-4 had gotten something he may not awaken for a while. They could only hope that the rest of them would be a success. 

"Wait. That girl he was carrying was subject 70:53-PH!" They could only stare in astonishment that one of their assets had been killed indirectly before her potential was realized. They were both from the same lab. And one of them had been killed before they could reach their potential. Their dreams of destabilizing the country were now far less likely to be realized. With fifteen down to fourteen, an air of somber disappointment filled the room. Oh well.

Johnathan Anthony Doe's PoV
New Bostin Middle School, New Bostin, Texas, Consolidated States of America
5/23/2222, 10:58:14.29

School was another hellhole that I had to deal with. Regardless of whether I get beaten up, or just have to deal with bullies, it's a fucking pain. But here I am again.

"Heh. This stupid cripple thought he could get away with bumping into us and insisting he didn't. Fucking loser." Thankfully they had walked away. I had been beaten up again.

A girl with green hair and red eyes walked up to me. "Here, let me help you." She held out her hand, with a smile on her face. Cautious, but unable to stand on my own, I took it.

Slinging my arm over her shoulder, we went to the infirmary.

The nurse looked as impassive as ever, but the girl stayed with me. "Why?" I had asked. Nobody ever did anything for me.

"I'm assuming you're a low-tier, right?"

Cautiously, I nodded my head. I didn't like where this was going— What am I thinking? This is an infirmary! I shook my head, and allowed her to continue. Didn't feel much like talking.

"Well, we've gotta stick together. People like us never last long alone." He Texan accent was seeping through. "Not much for talkin', are ya?"

I guess I could talk now. "My name is John. Never got yours?"

Her eyes widened. "Name's Claire! Nice to meetcha, John!" She was more outgoing. Comfortable around me, apparently.

"You'll need to stay here, Johnathan." Oh, no. "For two hours." Shit. I looked over to the doctor, giving me an impassive stare. "After this, I don't want to see you again for at least a day. stop getting into fights you can't win!" Her tone was louder than I'd expected, making me flinch. She turned to Claire. "If you have no business here, get the Hell out!"