Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Josiah’s POV

      After we spend time with our parents, we leave to go to my cave. I can’t wait to show him. It’s going to be our cave. As soon as my mother is done gushing over Blaze, I’m quick to leave. I love my parents and I know they wouldn’t take my mate from me, but it still makes me jealous how my mother just fawns over him.

     Dragons are very possessive and greedy creatures. Especially of their mates; and Blaze is mine. I’d crawl through the heavens and hells to get to my mate.

     When we’re done with my parents, I happily guide him to my cave. It’s not far from my parents’ cave, just a level below. It’s a little smaller than theirs, but it’s laid out the same. It also had a tunnel in the back. I let Blaze look around. I see the smile on his face.

     “Do you like it?” I ask, nuzzling his cheek. Blaze smiles.

     “I love it,” He coos, his tail wrapping around mine before he slowly walks forward and starts crawling through the tunnel. This is when I get really excited. I let him lead the way, and when he’s in, he’s just in awe.

     Through the tunnel and in a chamber, is my hoard. We can see the glittering gold with our night vision eyes perfectly. Dragons have hoards. Even the ones more in tune with their human side often collect things. A hoard is a dragon’s pride, next to their mate. Blaze seems to know exactly what it is.

     “Wow…” He murmurs. I come over to a torch and use a little bit of my fire breath to light it. The flames illuminate the space. I start to have a great need for Blaze to be in my hoard. He’s my greatest treasure.

     Before I know it, I’m pushing him gently into the piles of gold. Thankfully, he obliges and lets me do what I want. Once I get him nested in the middle, I just purr and croon to him, pressing my cheek to his as I rub myself on him. I’m scent marking him.

     “Mine…” I growl lowly.

     “Yours,” He coos.

     I remember when I was small, my father wouldn’t even let my mother leave the nest unless she really needed to get up. I stayed in the nest too, until I got restless.

     For now though, I just cuddle Blaze close, making damn sure he knows who his mate is, and anyone around him should know it now too. I can feel his joy through our link. He seems to really like this treatment.

     “So… Blaze… Tell me about yourself,” I say quietly. I can feel him stiffen up a little in my hold. I look down at him, expecting an answer.

     “Not much to tell… I lived a very… underwhelming life before you,” He says. He’s not lying. I can feel it; but by how slow he talks, he’s not telling me the full story.

     “Do you have any siblings?”

     “A twin brother.”

     “A twin brother?” I respond, quite surprised. Dragons hardly ever have twins. Well, it really depends. In early pregnancy, like the first three months, an expecting mother can shift back and forth from human to dragon, but after she or he finds out they’re expecting, they pick a form and stay there for the rest of the gestation. If they’re in human form, it’s very hard for mothers to birth dragon twins, however, in dragon form, it’s not unusual to lay up to three eggs. Pregnancy in dragon shifters is very complicated and has multiple variables.

      “Yup,” He responds. I just look at him, and he looks up at me, “My mother didn’t make it…” He says quietly. My heart just breaks for him.

     “My love… I’m sorry…” I coo, licking his cheeks. He smiles softly.

     “It’s okay,” He hums. He never had an attachment to his mother, obviously because she passed right after giving birth. His twin brother never really mentioned her either. Of course, the two were grateful though, because without their mother they wouldn’t have been born.

     I just kiss and lick my sweet mate.

     “What’s your favorite color?” Blaze asks, wanting to change the subject. I think about it for a moment before smiling softly.

     “Well, it was red… but now it’s black.”

End of Chapter