Chapter Fourteen

Charlotte awoke in the stable to the sound of Beau’s requests for breakfast. This day, however, he would have to wait a little longer than he was used to. She was tired and what was more, she was trying to shake off the memory of the strangest dreams she’d had the night before.

She dreamed she’d been kissed, for the first time in her life, by Thomas; and then not long after that she’d been quite thoroughly kissed, again, but this time by a man with royal blood in his veins…        

Her eyes flew open and she stared at the sky through the hole in the roof above her head.

She had not dreamed those events; they had actually happened.

“Saints above,” she groaned, closing her eyes and throwing her arm over her face to block out any last trace of the daylight. All she wanted to do was go back to sleep, to escape for a while into a world where things weren’t so complicated.

Even in her dreams, life was complicated.

“Charlotte! Charlotte!” She heard her voice called frantically, and she wrapped the blanket around her as she heard Thomas approaching.

“Wait! I am not decent.” She looked down at herself expecting to find her slip only, but then she realized she had been so exhausted she’d fallen asleep in her dress. “Never mind, it’s all right.”

Thomas rounded the corner and rushed toward her. He was out of breath, he’d obviously run as fast as he could from his small home to hers. “What is it?”

“They’re starting to arrest people for nonpayment of debt to The Crown and refusal to vacate their land.” His eyes were wild and desperate. “They’re taking the men, Charlotte. The strongest men, heads of family, most.”

Charlotte raged. Duke Frederick was very wise. The way to prevent the people from forming any sort of force to try to retaliate against his unjust rulership? Imprison the strongest, those who actually knew how to use a sword and could possibly stand a chance.

“We must tell Julien, raise him from bed. We must make a plan now, and with all haste.”

“He has been out of bed?”

“Last night, no time to explain. I must hurry and feed Beau but I will join you directly. GO!” She gave him a gentle shove and he made his way to the front door, knocking soundly.

A few minutes later, Charlotte found everyone assembled around the breakfast table. Julien was again out of bed and eating bread and fruit, though he had pushed his plate away upon hearing the contents of the scroll that Thomas had seen, bearing the latest news.

“This proclamation was posted as a warning to any who would attempt to defy the Duke,” Thomas explained, still trying to catch his breath. “They’ve started a list of names, also posted in the square, of the men who have been arrested. Their families cannot pay to release them from prison, and if this keeps up, we shall have no one left at all to help us mount any type of resistance.”

“I was a fool to think there were enough able-bodied men in the village of an age appropriate for undertaking such a task to begin with,” Julien’s fingers clenched into a fist, but he immediately realized what he’d said, and how Thomas would react. “Thomas, I didn’t mean—”

“Save your explanations, sir. It is no secret to me that I am disqualified from pursuing life as a knight in your service, but you should not underestimate the strength one may still possess, or the damage he might know how to do with a sword.”

“I know your strength, good man. It was more than sufficient to save my life. I doubt neither that, nor your courage.” Julien replied, extending his hand toward Thomas in a gesture of true friendship. “We have shaken hands before as I’ve thanked you for all you have done. Please, shake again now to show there are no hard feelings regarding my ill-worded remark.”

Thomas shook, but reluctantly. Julien continued.

“My meaning is there are many widows and orphans in this village. This I have gathered by listening to Walter speak of those whose livestock he often cares for.”

Walter looked up, surprised Julien had spoken in this way. He’d told most of those stories to try to distract Julien from the pain when he was changing his bandages, he didn’t think the young man had actually heard any of what he’d said, or believed he’d have been too drugged to remember. “Yes, I was listening, and grateful for the sound of your voice.” He nodded to the old man, and Walter rose from the table to fuss with the platter of food behind them in order to hide the expression on his face.

“Were I a younger man,” he said softly.

“There is nothing more I could possibly ask of you, sir, than what you have already done for me. Do not trouble your mind. We will figure out a solution to this situation yet. One that, hopefully, will not cost additional lives.”

Charlotte, who had been listening silently up to this point, finally spoke up. “An unrealistic expectation, is it not? That the retaking of the throne should be bloodless?”

“Perhaps, Charlotte, but it is the expectation I hold myself to; to save as many lives as I can and risk as few as possible,” Julien replied. “Perhaps I should enlist foreign aid.”

“Or perhaps…” Charlotte began, but then she stopped. She was merely a girl, what business did she have giving advice on strategy to the future king?

“What?” Thomas asked, urging her to continue.

“No, I—”

“Speak, Charlotte,” Julien encouraged, gesturing for her to step closer. “If you’ve an idea, please, I have wracked my brain to the point of over-thinking and exhaustion. Share your thoughts.”

“I’m just thinking perhaps we are all over-thinking this situation,” she said softly.

“Speak up, child, I can barely hear you!” Walter entreated.

“I know how you feel about the thought of me being involved in any way, Julien, but I must ask you to reconsider now. For my idea to work, it will be necessary for me to accompany Thomas, and for us to infiltrate the palace.”

“Charlotte, wait, before you speak, there is one more complication to this situation that I must declare before plans are laid,” Thomas interrupted. “There is a piece of news I withheld, not wanting to upset our guest, but I believe before we go into the palace all facts should be known and shared so our plan may be fully formed.”

“What is it?” Charlotte asked, afraid to hear the answer.

“The Duke has announced that after he is king, he will wed Julien’s betrothed.”

“NO!” Julien slammed his fist down against the table and everything upon it jumped. “This must not stand. I may not wish to marry the girl myself but she doesn’t deserve—” Julien stopped, realizing he’d been looking at Charlotte when he spoke and perhaps given away too much.  

“You don’t wish to marry her?” Thomas’s brows shot heavenward in confusion. “Wait, I thought…“

“What you were meant to think,” Julien replied. “What everyone was meant to think. But believe me when I tell you that she desires to be my wife no more than I desire her to be my queen.” He paused, wincing in pain momentarily from his exertion. “Now, matters are worse.”

“Perhaps matters are just more complicated, but not beyond our ability to aid all involved,” said Charlotte.

“What goes on in that curious brain of yours now?” Julien asked. “Please tell all, in full. Time is working against us.”

“I believe,” Charlotte began, “that it is time the tables were turned upon dear Duke Frederick.”