Chapter twelve

After days of being cooped up in the den working on the hammock, Buck decided it would be best for me to get out and have some alone time.

"If you keep workin' on that thing forever, you won't be able ta get what ya want done!" Buck exclaimed, pulling me up off my feet. I smiled at him and retrieved my knife from the floor beside me, scattering out of the den. 

"I'll be back soon, love!" I exclaimed, blowing him a kiss before running away. The grass was dewy under my paws and the air around me was cool and fresh, the herbivores from this underground world only just waking up in the beautiful morning. I climbed up the trunk of a tree and looked over the world. The heads of brachiosaurus's poked up among the trees and small herds of triceratops' were starting on their daily circle of the jungle. I sat down on the branch and stabbed my knife into the wood beside me, leaning back on my arms as I looked over the jungle. 

I heard a screech and the branch beside me was weighted as something landed on it, the creature being a Rhamphorhynchus. The exact pterosaur that Buck, Crash and Eddie had ridden when they were saving Sid a month ago. I looked over at it and smiled, tilting my head to the side so I seemed friendly to it. I squawked softly and looked over at me, a small frown dented in its beak. I moved over and laid a paw on its neck, scratching it softly and kindly. It purred softly and bucked its head into my paw. 

"Aw, you big softy," I cooed,  smiling as I pet it's head. Breaking off a vine from the overhanging branch above, I motioned towards it and the Rhamphorhynchus seemed to nod, bowing its head down so I could put the vine in it's mouth. I climbed onto the dino's back and held the vine tight between my paws, staring down at the jungle below. A shiver crept up my spine and my paws began to shake from fear, my head filling with fear. The Rhamphorhynchus cooed at me and a gulped, leaning forward on her. We glided downwards and I pulled on the reins, pulling both of us into a steady forward glide. The wind blew through my fur and I stretched my arms out, my fear vaporizing almost instantly. I looked down to see the jungle rushing past and I smiled, pulling the reins up so that my head was nearly touching the ice sheet above. I ran my paw against it and smiled and the sheer coldness of it, holding my hand against my cheek to feel the cold against my face. It was like I was back above again. I missed it up there, but being down here with Buck was better.

I yelled out a loud, battle-like cry as the adrenaline pumped through my veins and a smile was stuck on my face, tears of joy streaming down my face. I tugged on the vines and the Rhamphorhynchus spun around, turning down towards a lake. We skimmed across the surface and I leaned down to run my paw through the water, the liquid passing through my fingers and claws smoothly. I smiled and leaned back up, resting my back on the pterosaur's spine as she turned around to head back towards the tree. 

"I think I'm gonna call you, Ava," I grinned, stretching up to grab a hold of the reins again. Ava cooed at me and I smiled, leaning forward to stroke the top of her head. She leaned down and snatched a fish out of the water, swallowing it in an almighty gulp.

"You better not do that to Buck or I," I chuckled, pulling the reins slightly so we could head back to the tree. Ava seemed to chuckle and she landed on the branch, holding a wing out so I wouldn't fall down. I pet her head and smiled, taking the vine out of her mouth. Ava waddled over to what seemed to be her nest and snuggled up inside it, looking at me tiredly. 

"Sleep well, you'll be safe with me and Buck around," I smiled, sliding down the trunk of the tree and landing safely on the ground. Taking a deep breath, I leaned back against the trunk and attempted to center myself again. My hands shook and a cold sweat broke out on my forehead, tears pricking at the edge of my eyes. 

"God, why am I freaking out?" I whispered, sliding down the bark so I was sitting on the ground. I dug my head into my knees and breathed in and out, tears falling onto my fur. 

"Love, are you okay?!" 

I didn't have to look up to know that it was Buck that noticed me. I heard him run over to me and he wrapped his arms around me protectively, stroking my back. "What happened?"

"Nothing, I just, I'm scared. I don't want to forget you again, I can't do it. I can't live through that hell again."

Buck straightened up and pried my paws off my legs, holding them in his own paws so he could look me in the eyes. "That won't happen again, Sky. I promise I will protect you till I die," He nodded, a small tear brimming at the edge of his eye. I nodded and wrapped my arms around him, letting the rest of my tears out.

"That's it hon, let it all out. Don't be afraid, I'm here."

I relaxed into his arms as my paws shook, small hiccups leaving my mouth as the tears ran down my cheeks and onto his fur. Buck stroked my head and started humming in an attempt to calm be down, the song seeming familiar to me. I thought for a few seconds before it hit me, it was the song that I was singing when Buck and I had first met. I squeezed my arms tighter around Buck and he picked me up carefully, and I wrapped the bottom half of my body around him so it'd be easier for him.

"It's going to be ok, I promise," He whispered, setting me inside the den on the nearly-finished hammock that was laying on the ground in the main chamber. He laid down next to me and wrapped himself around me, my head on his chest so he could stroke my fur. He continued humming the song and it slowly sent me to sleep, the melodic tune he was murmuring filling my dreams.