Chapter 34

Dan didn't drive as fast as I would have, but on the plus side, she didn't total my car and traffic was mercifully light, so we still made good time. On the way, I gave Nick a call to see what was happening at his end.

"Have you sorted out the logistics?"

"More or less. We found someone in the investigations division who looks enough like Luke that we could use him as a decoy, but Luke's determined he's doing the drop himself. He says he's not taking any chances with Tia's life."

"So he'd rather risk his own as well?"

After his idiotic trip to the woods, why did that surprise me?

"I can't change his mind, and believe me, I've tried."

More than once, I'd seen Luke's stubborn side. He'd be doing the drop whether we liked it or not.

"Right, we're on damage limitation, now."

"Understood. We also need to come up with £1 million in cash. Again, Luke's insisting. He doesn't want to risk pissing this guy off if anything goes wrong and he gets away with the ransom. He says he'll cover it."

"He's good for the money, but I wasn't planning on letting this arsehole get away for a second time. That cash will be coming back, one way or another."

"Any ideas where we can get £750,000 in used bills without having to bribe a bank manager?"

I gave Nick the code for a safe in the basement that contained enough to make up the million. It was the least I could do after the shit I'd pulled with Luke. My husband had always liked to keep a quantity of cash on hand for emergencies, and I'd say this qualified.

Once Nick had repeated the code back to me, I updated him on our progress, and we both felt it was best not to get Luke involved in my end of things. He had enough on his plate already without having to deal with the havoc I was undoubtedly about to wreak at his old home.

"Oh, and Nick, whatever you do, don't let him answer the phone to his mother if she calls. He doesn't need her hysterics on top of everything else."

"Got it. I'll make sure his phone stays with me."

I received one more call on the way. Jason called to say a speed camera caught the kidnapper's van doing thirty-seven in a thirty limit on the outskirts of Bromley two days ago. South London again, and not too far from where the ransom note was posted. Together with the initial theft of the plates, that made three connections with the area.

We had to be on the right track, didn't we?

As Dan and I neared Lower Foxford, I kept half an eye on the cars she was slicing past and focused the rest of my thoughts on what to say to Luke's mother. How did I get the information I needed without alerting her to the fact Tia had disappeared? I foresaw hysterics if she found out, swiftly followed by a call to the police, and if I gagged her and tossed her in the closet, that might be taking things a step too far. Once again, I decided to lie through my teeth. I already knew I was going to hell—at this point, it was go big or go home.

Dan slewed to a halt in front of the Halston-Cain family residence, covering the front porch in a hail of gravel. I hopped out and rang the bell.

Mrs. Squires answered the door, looking as if she was sucking a lemon. If someone gave her the gin to go with it, she might loosen up a bit. Her expression didn't change as she showed me into the formal sitting room with all the enthusiasm of a stripper in the Arctic.

"Madam will be with you shortly."

Fantastic. I could hardly wait.

Luke's mother swanned in a few minutes later. As usual, she was perfectly attired, and her face screwed up in disgust as she registered me sitting on her Laura Ashley sofa. Guess she didn't appreciate my jogging outfit.