Chapter 15

I walked out of Tom’s hospital room feeling beyond frustrated. Had I just told him that I might have feelings for him? I hadn’t even realized it up until that moment. I was happy being with Harry; he was really amazing. But hurting Tom because of our relationship almost made it not worth it. I was confused. How had I ended up in some twisted, cliché love triangle?

The guys were waiting outside of the door and could sense my panic.

“What’s going on? Is Tom okay? What happened?” Danny demanded. He was tapping his foot impatiently against the tiled floor.

“He’s not too seriously hurt. Danny, relax. He’ll be fine,” I answered. “Go in and see for yourself.”

Danny and Dougie were through the door in seconds, but Harry lagged behind.

“Emma, are you okay?” he asked, gently. “We heard yelling.”

“Tom and I got into a fight. It’s just – ugh. I don’t know.”

Harry looked at me questioningly, but didn’t ask me to further explain. Instead, he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me softly on the top of my head. I responded with a kiss on his lips.

“Tom…told me he loves me.” I admitted.

A deep sigh came from Harry. His expression darkened slightly, but, in a way, he kind of looked accepting.

“What did you tell him?”

“I said, uh-”

Harry cut me off. “No, it’s okay. Don’t tell me. It doesn’t change what I’m feeling.”

“And what are you feeling?”

He closed his eyes for a second and gave another small sigh. “I don’t think I’ll ever be able to love you as much as Tom does.”

“Harry…”

“No, wait. Let me finish. It’s selfish of me to want you for myself when you could do so much better with Tom. I care about you a lot, Emma. But Tom…Tom loves you. Really properly loves you. And you deserve that.”

I knew he was probably right about Tom loving me more, but I didn’t want to let Harry go. I really was the selfish one.

“I don’t know how I feel about Tom, though! But I do know is how I feel about you. And I really like you, Harry.”

Harry groaned. “You’re making this really hard for me. We need to end this. Look what’s happened to Tom!” He pointed in the direction of Tom’s room.

“Alright, fine. Whatever.”

So maybe I was being a little immature. But I didn’t know if I would even be with Tom if Harry and I ended things.

“Emma, seriously. You know that you can’t hurt Tom. And I don’t want to hurt him either! He’s my best friend. And us being us hurts him.”

Unfortunately, he was absolutely right. Harry looked directly at me, his blue eyes boring into mine, trying to make me realize what had to be done. I gave a small nod and received a sad smile in return.

“One last thing, though,” he said quietly.

“Hm?”

Harry stepped closer and placed his lips on mine. It was bittersweet; a kiss goodbye.

He pulled away first, and I stepped back a few steps. The fluorescent light of the hospital cast a weird glow on his body. I was reluctant to leave; it was the last intimate moment we would have, but it had to be done at some point.

“I’m going to head home. You should go see Tom.”

“Yeah.”

“Bye, Harry.”

“Bye,” he said with an overdone smile.

I decided to go back to Tom’s instead of Kayla’s. I needed somewhere where I felt comfortable. The taxi ride back was silent and thoughtful. I realized how scared I was to have a relationship with Tom. All the things that could go wrong. One of us could hurt the other, and we would never be the same.

At home, I took a long shower, letting the hot water scorch my skin and steam up around me. I changed into a comfy pair of sweats, my wet hair tied up in a messy bun on top of my head. I fell asleep in Tom’s bed.

A/N: So sorry for the wait! The story will probably be done within three chapters, but I’m not really sure how everything will play out yet. Hope you liked it (: