Can

The moon shone down on the grey lands around. I lay on my back.
It had been years since the break, and yet my arm still ached at times. It was aching now. It was aching just like my memory.
There once was color. Now I couldn't see it anymore. I thought, at first, that I had gone blind to color. But meeting the people in this strange place, I learned that this world has no color.
This place.
I sat up, the dry leaves crunching under me as I did so. I looked at the world around me. Long shadows of trees stretched themselves trying to break free of their owners.
"Stupid things," I said, "you don't realize that you are owned. And cannot break free."
The shadows looked at me. They smiled.
"Just like you, stupid human. Just like you."
"Shut up!" I hissed. The shadows giggled and continued to stretch.
I laid back down and closed my eyes. My memory worked on.
When I was young, I lived in the reality of humans. I was ungrateful about it, and I wish I only knew then what I know now.
The reality of humans. That wonderful place. Where everyone was selfish, and always seeking entertainment, love and vanity. Where they were told to love themselves and find their own way.
The reality of humans smelled of fried food and motor engines. And everything was littered in plastic.
I missed it.
I touched the red bird and broke my reality. I awoke in a prison, and learned that I was owned by the falconer.
I escaped and ran. No one in this reality knows why. But it was my human instinct.
And the falconer chases me. I cannot get away. As I remembered this, the woods whispered to me. And I fell asleep. The shadows covered me and hid my sleeping body, as the clouds folded over the moon.
I can dream of colors.
I dreamt of my friend, and of snakes. Red snakes. They coiled around me and cut the circulation off my arms and legs.
Little did I know, that as I dreamed, the long arms of the root creature was wrapping around me, ready to devour me alive.