{1} Begin Again.

Timeless

          It was raining, again.

          In fact, it had been raining for the past few weeks, throughout the whole day. As of why, I don’t know. 

          All I know was that raining could change things. Well, a lot of them. It may affect your feelings, what you were planning to do on that particular day, and sometimes; your future. 

          Still, it didn’t stop me from walking in the rain. God knows how much I love doing this. 

          Out in the street, it may just be me, the only girl walking in a hoodie and holding an umbrella to shed myself from the rain. I love the rain, because it just fell when you least expect it; though it wasn’t alone. It was like these kids in the kindergarten eagerly waiting for school to end, and when it did, they rushed outside to their parents like a bird who gained it’s freedom after being locked up in a cage for God knows how long. 

          Exactly like the rain. It was like the sky was crying too, like they know by raining it would affect people’s life, both in a good and bad way. 

          I used to have this little theory, like, the only reason it rained because God wanted to apologize for taking my father away from my family, He begged us for forgiveness, but we wouldn’t budge because he took away our life supporter, a wife’s husband and children’s father. So, He cried, eventually. And that was why it rain.

          Well, that was what I had in my little mind when I was a little girl, but now, it seemed childish to me. By right I should’ve hated the rain, because it took my dad away. 

          So as I walked down the path away from my house to nowhere, I clutched my umbrella tightly in my hand whilst shoving my other free hand into my hoodie’s pocket. 

          I had just left my house for a walk in the rain, as usual, leaving my mom and younger brother in the house. Nothing out of the ordinary happened today.

          While on the road, I saw people rushing in to some of the buildings in order to have a shelter to cover them from the rain, some using their begs to shed themselves, and the cars honking, giving a fair warning to those pedestrians who’s crossing the road, unaware that cars are coming. 

          I think raining makes the street even more busy.

          It was cold today, maybe because Winter season was just around the corner, plus the rain, even the cold wind blowing my long, dark brown hair, sending it being winded in different directions made me shivered slightly. Hmm, I should’ve tie my hair today.

          As I marched forward, still having no clue where would I be heading today, I looked around, taking in everything like the busy street. 

          Just then, I saw someone. A stranger, to be more specific. A guy stranger. He was wearing a light blue hoodie, same color as the sky and leaning against a tree on the pathway. But what made him stood out in the crowd (or at least being noticed by me) was his facial expression, I wasn’t far away from him, a few feet away from him, maybe? I had no idea.

          So I stopped walking and just stand there, he was staring in front of him, which was my seven o’clock, like he was lost. His hands were in his pockets, crossed legs, and just completely losing himself in his deep thoughts. 

          It was starting to rain heavily, aren’t him going to leave his spot? By now the street was almost empty, except for some cars patrolling around, seeming to be enjoying the rain like I do. 

          But not everyone would be standing under a tree like it was a right thing to do. Didn’t he go for kindergarten? I thought they taught you about not to shed yourself under a tree in a rain? 

          I mean, it wasn’t that I cared about this stranger, but the way he stood there like it was the safest place in the world just made me thought of my dad, and how he died.

          And I wasn’t going to let this one mistake lead to another tragedy. 

          So I walked towards him slowly as began to think of the possibilities that he might be in the spot. But the nearer I got to him, the more. . puzzled I felt. He was very unaware of my presence. 

          “Hey,” I greeted, reaching my hand up to push a strand of my hair behind my ear.

          No answer. 

          “Excuse me, stranger? Are you going to stand here? In the rain?” I raised my voice a little but made no move towards him. 

          “Huh?” This time, he seemed to freak out a little assuming he nearly hit his head by the tree trunk as he jumped a little, his hands were out of his pocket to support his weight by the tree trunk. He furrowed his eyebrow as his gaze finally landed on me. “I’m sorry?”

          I cleared my throat. “I asked if you were going to stay here under this tree, in the rain.”

          “O—oh. Yeah—No, I mean, no, I was about to leave,” the stranger said, straightened up a little, a slight frown on his face.

          “Are you alright?” I asked, looking closely at him. His expression told me he was not.

          “Y—yeah, I’m fine, I was just, you know, I—” He stopped abruptly, scratching his head with his hand, deciding what to say, maybe? “Actually no, I’m not okay. At all.” He said, sighing Looking at me, his mouth were twitched up a little. I was still holding my umbrella, trying to figure out what was wrong with him. 

          The stranger looked away, and so do I. It just felt so. . awkward. But when he did look up to me a few moments later, he said, offering. “Do you wanna have a coffee with me?” Looking at me excitedly, but as I sorted everything in my mind, I was shocked. He was asking for a coffee date. . with me? A random stranger was asking me on a coffee date. “I—it’s okay for you to say no. Who would want to have a coffee with a random person they met on the street anyway—”

          “Coffee’s fine,” I replied, biting my lip. 

          He did a double take. “What?”

          “I love coffee, so, why not?” I said, grinning happily at him. There were times like this that gave me a reason to smile. Ever since my dad passed away, I wasn’t the happiest person in this world. 

          “Cool,” He agreed, seeming slightly happy about it. “Do you know any coffee shop nearby?” He asked, looking around him, lifting up his hoodie and covered his head before shoving his hands into his pockets, again. 

          I nodded. Starbucks came up my mind. The most popular coffee shop here. I gestured him to come out of his ‘sack’ as he just grinned at me when he nodded, stepping out. 

          “The name is Alex, by the way,” He said, catching up beside me as I started walking towards our destination. 

          I bit my lip, hiding my smile. “Spencer.”

          Have I mentioned that the rain had a great effect on people—that it could change their future? 

          You’ll see what I meant later on.