Chapter 42

Sophie looked out at the people around her. Fear etched into their faces, she just drew herself up to her full height and made a show of observing them and giving a solemn nod to Zeph who still cradled Eden's still form, he was the only one who seemed grateful to her. She turned away and walked towards Keefe, who wasn't looking at her but rather at the blood on his hands... his mother's blood. Despite the sheer brutality she had displayed a moment earlier she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, she could feel his mind and she knew he wasn't broken, Keefe was far too strong for that... he just seemed shocked and conflicted with himself and his actions. She realized with disdain that all eyes were on them.

"What are you all looking at?! Find survivors, tend to the wounded. Grady, go to the med bay you're not helping." She said firing off orders and reprimanding Grady when he tried to help someone who had their leg stuck under a piece of rubble. With attention averted she got down on her knees in front of Keefe, flashing him a kind smile he looked up and his eyes met hers, he had tears pooling in them. They reached for each other at the same time, wrapping the other in a warm embrace.

"I killed my mom." he mumbled against her hair, his voice sounded like he was in a daze. 

"I know." She replied squeezing her eyes shut against his shoulder.

"You were going to do it." He said with equal haziness.

"I was." She replied tensing up, was he mad at her?

"No" he said it firmly this time, he had probably sensed her emotions. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Two week later

As it happens most of the Neverseen had been present at "the almost wedding" and so it had been fairly easy to pick off the remaining members and reinstitute order within Elvin society. With most people able to go back to their homes the base was not needed and was now being repaired to use as an orphanage for any children who lost parents during battles or raids on their homes. Though it wasn't much needed as most of the children were adopted but the few that weren't were sent to live under the watchful eye of Councillor Oralie who was actually just Oralie now as she had stepped down from her seat on the council and moved in as the children's caretaker. New councillors were appointed and one defining rule of the Council had come crumbling down, Councillors were now allowed to have families. Upon this decision Sophie had immediately been asked to join but she firmly declined a seat at the devil table, as she called it. Fitz however had jumped at the chance and was now addressed as Councillor Fitzroy, a name that still made Sophie snort with laughter upon hearing it in any formal capacity.

Sophie and Keefe had bought a house in what she assumed was South America, it had very modern tones to it and imcorporated Sophie's favorite style. Treehouse. She had made sure it was the polar opposite of The Shores of Solace down to the color of the sand which was pearl white instead of the dark gritty black. They didn't go out much because in the same way people thought differently of her because of her strange abilities, some people still knew Keefe as "the inflictor from the Neverseen" the one who had caused so much pain in their families. And though it didn't bother her what they called him or her she saw the way he winced at the words and accusations thrown at him. Plus the isolation helped with the guilt which she knew still weighed on him.

Sophie walked into the villa, boots clunking against the dark oak floor. She smelled a faint aroma and smiled to herself as she recognized it as "The romance candles" or so they had been dubbed by Keefe because they were red and smelled like cherries. She made her way into the kitchen and saw Keefe leaning against the bar sipping something from a wine glass, his eyes flashed as he saw her enter the room.

"What did you do?" She asked as she observed the food and candles set out on the island.

"Just dinner, do I have to have done something to give my fiance a nice dinner?" He asked with a sly smirk.

"You did not catch another shark and put it in the swimming pool again did you?" She asked looking at the pool which was thankfully saltwater as it allowed the poor thing to live long enough for her to get home.

"No lesson learned the first time." He mumbled rubbing the back of his head where she had smacked him when she got home to find a shark in her pool.

"So what then?" She asked, he just sighed and pulled her over to him,

"Well..." He seemed to choke up but quickly regained his composure.

"Well I didn't do this very smoothly the first time because we were both bleeding on the ground but..." He got down on one knee and pulled out a small blue elver box. She grinned broadly at him and could hardly contain her excitement even though they were already engaged.

"Sophie F-"

"Yes you idiot! Of course!" She screamed and launched herself on top of him, nearly flattening him with her hugs.

"Sophie love, I've got to pull out the ring." He wheezed and she gasped and sat up, scooting away as she waited for him to open the box.

Now she wasn't much for jewelry but her mind was blown when she saw the ring inside.

"Damn! Now that is a rock!" She said as he slid it on her finger with a laugh.

"I'm glad you love it." He said as he watched her giddily inspect the ring on her finger.

"Well.... I like this ring but I love you." She said and fear flashed in his eyes as she launched herself on top of him. Evoking a faint laugh.

"Ow."