Chapter 18

“Deva how are you?” Elle asked in full sister mode.  

Deva sighed. “Surviving.”

She went and sat next to Izzy and Julia on the bed. The girls somehow found themselves huddled in Izzy’s room relaxing and talking about their men.

“So Elle how are you and Lucian doing?” Julia asked in a cheery voice.

Elle flushed cheeks gave her away. There was no denying the chemistry she felt with Lucian. His kindness and willingness to nurture her through the vampire process was more than just kindred affection.

“He’s teaching me a lot of things. I’m grateful for his guidance.”

It had been so long since Deva actually got to sit down and talk to them and she found herself missing Marcus at the thought. The duties of a queen were now occupying most of her time.

“Julia,” Deva glanced at her friend.

“Yea Dev.”

“When is Marcus turning you into a vampire? I’m not expecting him to keep you human much longer. We don’t want any wrinkles on that pretty little face of yours.”

Julia rolled her eyes dramatically. “We were going to wait until your official crowning. We don’t want to cause anymore inconveniences.”

Deva nodded and suddenly felt guilty. Every bad thing happening around them all seemed to be caused by her. She hated that.

“I understand but honestly you don’t have to wait. I’d be so happy to have you a part of the vampire family.”

Julia laughed. “Yeah I’ll be part of the kingdom too. Does that mean I have to call you Queen from now on?”

“No please don’t; at least when we’re not in public. It’s hard getting used to the title.”

“Alright Dev.”

The girls stretched out over the bed and began talking about random things. It was refreshing to have something take her mind off of the kingdom.

“Oh Deva I almost forgot,” Elle shifted to her left while digging into her pocket.

Deva raised her brow. “Elle hun you kinda already missed my birthday.”

Elle ignored her and pulled out the object handing it to Deva. “When I thought you were dead I started wearing your favorite necklace. It’s yours; you should wear it. Grandmother gave it to you.”

Deva took the delicately detailed black gold locket into her hands and almost cried. She used to wear the necklace everywhere and was surprised she didn’t wear it the day Marcus kidnapped her. She ran her fingertips over the tiny pictures engraved on both sides.

“Thank you.”

Elle smiled.

“Iz, how is your mother doing?” Deva found a way to take the attention off her.

“She’s fine. She’s actually planning on leaving today.”

Deva frantically got to her feet. “Leaving? Going where?” Why would she leave?

“Mother always wanted to travel but she had her responsibilities here at the kingdom. I think it will be good for her to get out and away from all the memories of my father.”

Of course it would. Traveling was always a good option. Deva just wished she could do it too. Hiding or running away felt like a good release.

“Am I interrupting anything?”  Emma’s voice echoed behind the door.