Prologue

Thomas's P.O.V.

A sudden alarm rang through the air, blaring loudly all throughout the Glade.

I quickly pressed my hands over my ears, but it didn't block out the alarm - not even a little.

"Wait, I know that sound . . ." I thought aloud. Boys were now running out of the council hall at an almost urgent pace, pushing past each other as they sprinted through the door and across the grass.

Chuck and I were standing with Minho just outside the door. Chuck looked nervous.

"It's the box," Chuck said as guys pushed past us."It's coming back up!" 

"It shouldn't be," Minho muttered, stepping forward and running to the box with the other boys. Chuck looked over at me with an anxious look in his eye. I gave him a slight and encouraging nod before I pushed off and chased behind Minho. Minho was fast, easily beating most of the guys despite their head start.

Newt had told me that the box only came up once a month, which didn't make sense because I had just come up a few days ago. I could feel the confusion and tension in the air, making it seem dense and thick.

Gally and Newt reached the box first, glancing at each other before pulling the cage doors open. Most of us we approaching the box just as Newt jumped down into it.

Newt's P.O.V.

Great - another thing to deal with amongst all of this bloody chaos.

Gally and I opened the doors of the box and I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized what was inside. I saw Thomas and Minho reach the edge as I jumped down and they were soon followed by the other guys. 

I made a mental note of Thomas's speed and endurance, adding it to the checklist I had started in my head while I tried to process what I was seeing.

What are we going to do?