A Pretty Long Day

Y/n's POV

Sometimes I wish that I wouldn't have to wake up so early in the morning nowadays, but my new responsibilities as Head of the Student Council Committee, I have too. At least my friend Riley also has to wake up, but he hasn't yet. And that's where I've spent the past half. Standing next to his chair while yelling at him.

Me: "Come on! It's already 7:40 AM and we still have to pack up our stuff!"

Riley: "We can do that later. I just want more sleep."

Me: "Come on, you know we don't have that luxury anymore. Now come on, or else we won't get enough time to pack for new home. The aircraft carrier."

And no sooner do I mention the carrier does he spring out of the chair in complete surprise. Don't tell me he already forgot about our new roles! No matter, I'll just continue getting my casual clothes on while Riley does the same. And after we finish getting ready, we'll have to pack up our stuff for transport to the carrier. Pretty busy day ahead of us.

After Riley finishes getting ready we start putting stuff in boxes filled with packing peanuts. And the first to break the silence is Riley.

Riley: "Hey Y/n, do you think I should bring my journal over with me?"

Me: "Considering you have had that journal since you were a child and that we are moving again, then yes, you should probably bring it."

Riley: "Alright then. Hey, what about this? Your father's pipe?"

Riley showed me a pipe, the same one my father gave to me before he passed. And with the pipe having sentimental value to me, I obviously said yes.

Me and Riley continued to pack up our stuff. First, our personal belongings and prized possessions. Then second, our clothing and our bedding. Third, our video games and movies. And lastly, our shared possession that me and Riley value a lot, a book on urban warfare and guerrilla warfare.

I was just looking at a page in our book when Riley came toward me. He was chuckling while holding what looks like to be... the photo in which me and Riley are at my 8th birthday party.

Riley: "Hey, Y/n! Remember this photograph? Back when we were little kids?"

Me: "Of course I do. That's when you told everyone you were going to join Sensha-do back where we lived."

I couldn't help but chuckle myself. The memory of an eight year old Riley just babbling on and on about why he would be the very best in Sensha-do while eating cake despite the sport never being practiced where we lived. He wouldn't be allowed to join anyway with Sensha-do being a feminine sport.

But those were the good old days, before I moved here in Japan. And now, it's just me and Riley here fending for ourselves. But I guess I let my sadness show, because Riley started trying to cheer me up.

Riley: "Oh, come on there Y/n! Cheer up a little bit! Is this maybe because you're homesick?"

Me: Yeah, I miss home. I miss my parents, my friends, the snow in the winter. I even miss the dogs barking in the dead of night.

Riley: "Hey, look at me Y/n. I've left behind much, as much as you have. Just don't worry about it Y/n, just enjoy your time here in Japan. Everyone knows we're only young once."

Y/n: "I suppose you're right. But I can't help but feel that I've lost a part of myself moving here.."

Riley: "Once, we moved here in Japan together six months ago. Now, we're moving onto an aircraft carrier. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if you feel as if you lost a part of yourself. I feel as if I lost my connection to the land.."