Chapter 6

"Let's go, let's go! Bring it in!" shouts Coach Sjögren after their brief warm-up before their first game.

Coach Sjögren was hesitant to put both Pernille and Magda in together considering their enmity. But, he had studied their stats and tendencies. They would be perfect together. Together, Linköping would be unbeatable. Sweden U19 considered 0.5 goals per game doe to Magda's defensive work. Pernille was Denmark's top striker with 1.2 goals per game.

Sjögren pulls them both aside before the game start.

"Harder, Eriksson, you two are both in. Any hint of animosity, and at least one, if not both of you are out. Got it?"

They nod in understanding.

Roughly 30 minutes into the game, Magda wins the ball back from a Rosengard player. Bursting into full speed, Pernille, calling for a pass. Magda wanted to, except that Pernille was in the wrong position for a clean pass. While Pernille appeared to be open, Magda caught the lurking defender in the corner of her eye, managing the passing lane between her and Pernille.

Making a calculated decision, Magda doesn't pass and presses forward. To her dismay, she's cornered by a second defender and stripped of the ball. Fuck.

Magda turns to catch up with the play but spots Pernille's look from a distance. Pernille wasn't happy about her decision.

Pausing at the half, the score is still 0-0 as Magda reaches for a cup of water, back turned when she hears Pernille behind her.

"Seriously Magdalena, I was open during your breakaway back there."

Magda takes a deep breath in to control her tone, fearful of Sjögren overhearing.

"No, you weren't Pernille," she replies sternly, turning around.

"Why do you have to be such a ball hog?" Pernille comments. "We all know you're good, just pass the ball and share the wealth every once in a while."

"I'm not a ball hog," Magda insists through gritted teeth, "I wanted to pass it to you, there was a defender managing the passing lane. I couldn't. Wait, did you just acknowledge that I'm good?"

Magda had caught Pernille's misspoke.

"Well..." Pernille couldn't take back what she said, and surrendered to honesty, "Yeah, you're fucking good, okay? They're always double teaming you and I'm open."

"They're also managing all the passing lanes to you. You're too fast to overlook, and ahead of the play."

"Did you just say that I'm fast?" asks Pernille, astounded at Magda's compliment.

"Yes, you're fucking fast. Just, sit back a little." Admits Magda.

Before Pernille can respond to their new strategy, Coach Sjögren must have caught something as he approaches.

"Ladies, are you two arguing again?"

Though they weren't exactly arguing, the image looked that way, inadvertently getting them into some trouble.

"That's it. What'd I say? I'm separating you two. Eriksson, you're out the rest of this game," says Sjögren.

"What?! I didn't even do anything!"

Feeling bad, Pernille tries to defend Magda. "Oh, c'mon Coach, we weren't arguing. Sit me out instead?"

Magda took notice at Pernille's offer to sit out.

"The ball seems to be gravitating towards you this game, Pernille. So, you stay in," replies Sjögren.

Pernille gives her a light apology in passing as the second half begins. "Sorry."