Chapter 4: Figuring It Out

After several cups of tea, and a supper of smoked meat, cheese, and bread, flavored with memories, they took up their discussion of the demons again.

       “So these demons. They had something to do with Exxus,” Justus said. He rubbed his chin and took a sip of his tea.

       “They followed her. That’s what the Prick said. I wish I could look at this,” she produced the small piece of parchment from her pocket.

       “He said not to read it until you get back to Earth?”

       “That’s what he said. I don’t know why. I could just as easily—hey! He said I shouldn’t look at it until I get back to Earth—but he didn’t say anything about you looking at it…” She raised an eyebrow at Justus.

       He nodded and reached for it. “Hand it over.”

       She gave him the parchment, and he unrolled the tiny scroll. He read the two names there, and gave her a troubled look.

       “What?” When Justus looked like that, she knew it wouldn’t be good news. “What is it, Justus?”

       “It’s bad.” Slowly, he rolled the parchment up again, and handed it back to her. “No, don’t unroll it. I can’t tell you the names, but I’ll tell you who they are, and why he needed you to deal with them.”

       He was silent for a few minutes, though, and she came near panicking by the time he did speak.

       “Well, one of them is an Earl of Hell. He actually has 30 legions under him, and I’m not sure why he went to Earth, really. Unless it was just to mess with you, which is entirely possible.”

       “I see. Well, that explains a bunch of stuff that’s been going on over there, if that’s his reason. What about the other one?”

       “The other one…Well, the other one is a son of Tiamat…”

       “Tiamat! What? What would one of those monsters want to wake up and mess around on Earth for?”

       She jumped up and began to pace rapidly from one end of the room to the other, and back again. Every so often, she would grab her hair in her hands and shake her head as she paced. 

       “What in all the realms am I supposed to do to a son of Tiamat? I can’t do this. I’m good, but not that good! Justus…” She stopped pacing and turned to him; “I’m in big trouble, aren’t I?”

       Her white-lipped, worried face disturbed him. He was her teacher, and he knew his business when it came to demons, but there was only so much he could do. And she sure was in trouble here. Maybe he should go to Earth with her. But that could cause a whole other mess of trouble with Ev’Rielle and her new bad habit.

       “I’m not going to lie to you, D. You are in trouble. But you can do this. You are that good. I’ll help any way I can. Even if I have to go to Earth with you.”

       She shook her head. “Justus...Ev’Rielle—"

       “—will be fine. She doesn’t even have to know I’m there. You might need my help, D. And I’ve got to be honest with you. I’m worried.”

          “So am I, Justus. So am I.” She resumed her pacing, but slower now. “He lied. Again, he lied. I don't know why I'm surprised. He's a liar. That's all he'll ever be.”

       She put a hand to her forehead, and rubbed in circles. "Let me think. Think. Think. Think!" She whirled around and paced back the other way. “There has to be more to it. He’s a liar…” She kept pacing, and with every step, she repeated in her head, “He’s a liar. He’s a liar. He’s a liar…”