8 - If happy ever after did exist, I would still be holding you like this

"I know it's hard to remember
The people we used to be
It's even harder to picture
That you're not here next to me"
Payphone – Maroon 5

I was in a meeting with my team, Theo and Aubrey included. To be honest I wasn't listening as well as they would like me to. I couldn't care less for anything that wasn't on that particular weekend. This was me trying to be subtle.

"So bring it on. What's my schedule like?"

We had just wrapped up the second tour and true enough, I had things booked all the way to New Year's.

Theo was going on all sorts of events, shoots, interviews, recording sessions, guestings, etc but the only time my ears perked up is when I heard the dates I've been waiting for. I mean fuckin' hell give me a break I just wrapped up a tour.

"And then you have a guest appearance on the 22nd of September, that's a Saturday-"

"Nope. Nope. I'm not committing to anything on that weekend." I cut Theo off.

"But this is with Maroon 5, they want you to be a surprise guest. They specifically asked for you."

"I'm sure they'll understand. I'll make it up to them somehow. Any other weekend but that one."

"Why? What's on that weekend?" A confused Theo asked.

"Nothing. Clear my schedule from 20th to 24th of September."

"What's on that weekend that is more important than this?"

"Don't push it Theo. That weekend is all I am asking."

I refused to make eye contact with Aubrey. I can literally see her connecting the dots at this point.

"It's a personal affair alright. Let's just say I want that to be my mental health day."

"Mental health day? Beca this is Maroon 5 at the Staples Centre." Theo was slightly getting annoyed. Thankfully Aubrey hasn't said anything.

"I'm sure they'll have plenty of other concerts at Staples and some other stadium. I just need a break. How about I write them another song?" I was being half sarcastic half serious. "And in case you've forgotten already, I just performed at the Staples."

"At least think about it first. For now I'll contact them to say we will check with your prior commitments and respond as soon as we can."

"I have thought about it. You can let them know as early as now I won't be able to make it."

Theo closed his eyes. I'm assuming his counting to ten to calm himself. I would be annoyed too if I were him but this was non-negotiable.

"Beca... It's just a few hours."

"Theo. It's settled. Keep that weekend free."

"At least sleep on it."

"My answer won't change and that's final."

Theo then started rubbing his temples in frustration.

"Surely we can work something out Beca. You're won't be on stage for more than 30 minutes. It's just going to be 2 hours of your Saturday night."

"If you can't say no to Maroon 5, don't worry about it, I will call them to say I'm not available that weekend. It's not like I'm cutting ties with them Theo. It's not a big deal."

Theo just shakes his head.

"Now if there's nothing else, I would like to continue recording so I can go home." I was standing up now.