━ CHAPTER TWO

ELSPETH had never walked faster then she did when Arthur dismissed her and the handsome stranger

Merlin was quick to follow her, jogging slightly to keep up with her swift pace.

"Hey- hey wait!" He yelled after her. She stopped and spun around to face him. "Yes?"

"Thank you." He said breathlessly. "But why'd you do it?"

"Because prince Arthur would have you thrown in the dungeon for insulting him!" She whispered sharply. "What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking he's a pompous ass," Merlin replied casually. "And I didn't know he was the prince."

Elspeth glared at him, before a small mischievous smile broke onto her lips. "Well," She murmured quietly. "You're not wrong."

He smiled back at her, "I'm Merlin." He introduced, holding his slender hand out to her. "It's nice to meet you."

"Elspeth." She said, shaking his hand. "And likewise. I saw you yesterday." She began, walking towards the castle, Merlin beside her.

"You did?" He asked curiously. "Where?"

"When that poor man got executed." Elspeth told him, her voice still quiet. "You were in the crowd, I was watching from the castle window."

"You work there?" He guessed.

"I'm a maid," She explained. "It's about the only work I can get, unless I want to pick potatoes or help my mother sew. What about you?"

"Oh! I um," He held up a small brown pouch. "I help out Gaius."

"The court physician?" Elspeth asked, looking impressed. "I'm surprised. He intimidates even the knights." She looked at the castle doors. "Well, this is where we part ways Merlin. It was lovely to meet you."

"You too." He responded, giving her a grin before walking off.

She walked inside and spotted Morgana's lady in waiting heading towards her. She linked their arms and lead her away from prying eyes. "Everybody's talking about it." Gwen whispered.

"Talking about what?" Elspeth mumbled back, keeping an eye out.

"You and that man! Standing up to Arthur like that. It's so unlike you."

"Yeah, well, I didn't plan it." Elspeth responded. "It just sort of... happend."

"Who was he?" Gwen asked curiously. "That darked haired man. I've never seen him around here before."

"Nor I. His name's Merlin, apparently he's Gaius' assistant." Elspeth explained, still speaking in a hushed tone.

"Really?" Gwen asked. "I didn't know Gaius even had an assistant."

"He's cocky." Elspeth noted, lauging softly.

Gwen glanced at her expression slyly. "Handsome, too."