━ CHAPTER SIX

THE final day of the tournament arrived

The whole town was buzzing with the news, people that hadn't attended before were queuing for seats. Elspeth once again joined Gwen near the front, knowing that when Morgana came down she would more than likely offer them to sit with her.

"So I spoke with my father." Gwen spoke, "He told me what happend."

"And-?" Elspeth prompted quietly.

"And I support him fully." Gwen said with a smile, "If Ishildr makes him happy than who am I to stand in his way? Besides, if they marry you and I will be sisters."

She smiled weakly. Guilt started to knaw at her side. Here Gwen was, being the perfect daughter and all El' could focus on was the promise her mother made her when she was five years old.

Sure enough, Morgana came and offerer the girls a seat with her in the front row.

And it may have been Elspeths imagination, but she could've swore the Ward look worried. Tired too.

Knight Valiant and prince Arthur took their positions in front of each other, Uther gave his son a nod before their helms came on and the fighting began.

Mid-fight, Arthur knocked knight Valiants helmet off, and a split second later took off his own.

Scarcely two minutes later, snakes, actual snakes, jumped out of Valiants shield. Gasps rippled through the air and Morgana instantly stood, soon followed by Gwen and Elspeth.

"He's using magic." She heard Uther mutter, he too standing.

The snakes went after the prince, cornering the young man. Morgana grabbed the kings sword from his belt and threw it to Arthur, who beheaded the snakes and resumed his fight.

"What is he doing?" Elspeth muttered, her hands hovering over her mouth.

Arthur won easily, muttering in Valiants ear before dropping the injured man to the ground. The arena errupted into applause, standing and cheering for their future king who stood panting.

Unlike before, when Arthur glanced at his father and received a nod, he didn't smile. His gaze went straight to Elspeth who slowly raised her hands and clapped.

The king wore an expression of disbelief and Arthur gave Merlin a pat on the shoulder as he passed him by.

***

The feast that night was just as glorious as the last.

Arthur escorted Morgana down the aisle, though they soon began bickering. Elspeth and Gwen served people their drinks, sharing grins as they watched they two.

"See? I told you." Merlin whispered, making El' jump. "He gets all the girls and glory."

"Not all the girls Merlin," Gwen corrected. "We still have you."