FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
—dumb redheads

🗡🗡🗡

  —RACHEL Elizabeth Dare was not at all what Judith was expecting, and she wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

  "Can I push her over?" She asked casually as they watched the redhead in her golden statue get up. She stood precariously upon a spray painted plastic crate that matched the shimmery bronze on her skin and clothes.

  Percy huffed and crossed his arms, eyes finding hers with a silent plead to restrain herself. But he didn't explicitly tell her no, leaving her tempted to test fate.

  Annabeth, who was slowly warming to the idea of a mortal companion, just marveled over how still the girl was against the backdrop of bustling New York. All three of the demigods started to twitch at even the thought of trying to restrain themselves like that. "How does she do that?" She asked.

  The daughter of Ares rolled her shoulders around, stretching at the phantom tension she felt.

  "I have no idea." Percy shook his head.

  Soon, a boy donned in all silver paint replaced her and Rachel stepped down from her pedestal. "Hey, Percy." She grinned while Judith grimaced, wishing she would go back to frozen and mute. "Good timing! Let's get some coffee."

  The idea of coffee placated Judith just enough to not make a rude comment about the girl's appearance. The group of four arrived at someplace called the Java Moose on West 43rd. Rachel ordered an Espresso Extreme, a drink that Judith would have never matched with the preppy girl. The daughter of Ares got a mocha while Annabeth and Percy got mixed smoothies.

  "So," she struck up, "Annabell and Jezebel, right?"

  Judith clenched her fists underneath the table, knowing when someone was trying to get a rise out of her.

  Annabeth just rolled her eyes. "Annabeth and Judith," she corrected politely. "Do you always dress in gold?"

  "Not usually," Rachel said. "We're raising money for our group. We do volunteer art projects for elementary kids 'cause they're cutting art from the schools, you know? We do this once a month, take in about five hundred dollars on a good weekend. But I'm guessing you don't want to talk about that." She was spot on. Judith would rather do anything other than talk about Rachel's pastimes. "Are you guys half-bloods, too?"

  "Shhh!" Annabeth said, looking around. "Just announce it to the world, how about?"

  "Okay." Rachel stood up and said really loud, "Hey, everybody! These three aren't human! They're half Greek god!"

  Judith reached across the table and yanked the girl back down into her seat by her gold-covered jean-jacket. She made an 'oomph' and stared incredulously at the harsh reaction. She gave a blunt and pointed, "Ow."

  The daughter of Ares shrugged. "You deserved that one."

  "Sure," Rachel muttered, rubbing at her backside.

  "Okay, guys, just chill out." Percy leaned on the table, cradling his blueberry smoothie cup.

  Rachel forced a smile — for his sake and not Judith's. "I am chill. Every time I'm around you, some monster attacks us. What's to be nervous about?"