48: Golden Fleece

HARRY'S POV

I checked on my phone again for the time. It was already 8 am. I sighed in frustration. Hyacinth was a half hour late for our gathering to go back to the Isle. We were supposed to go back and choose a next batch of kids to be able to come to Auradon. She promised she would come but now she had us standing here by the Auradon prep school entrance for almost a half hour.

I opened my inbox and texted her the same text for the fourth time. "Where are you?"

Minutes tick by and she doesnt reply as usual. I groaned in impatience and disappointment.

Evie throws her hands up in exasperation and pocketed her phone. She had been trying  to contact Hyacinth as well. "I don't like this. She never answers"

"I dont like it either. Shes always late. She never answers our calls. Almost never replies to texts" Mal says shaking her head and sighing in disappointment.

"You know I've been wondering for a while now, what's going on with her?" Carlos asked with a concerned frown on his face.

Harold turns to me "Yeah Harry, how is the lass? I barely see her these days" he curiously looked around for her as if expecting Hyacinth to suddenly show up somewhere.

I shrugged as nonchalantly as I could. "How would I know how she is? I barely see her these days myself"

Jay knit his eyebrows together at that. "Did you two get in a fight?"

I shook my head in reply. "No thats not it. Shes just been distant lately. Always cooped up somewhere with her Dad and Apollo trying to look for some cure to her immortality. She won't stop until she finds one"

"She has some spirit for not giving up I'll give her that. Its been almost a year since she became mortal. But when did it start? Her being distant?" Mal questioned.

I search my head for some memory of months ago. "Well we were fine a couple days after her waking up and realizing shes mortal. But then after she recovered from getting sick that one time, it just wasn't the same anymore"

"I think you need to talk to her. That you want some time with her. Couple hours wont hurt wouldn't it?" Evie  adviced.

I scoffed in return "To her every living hour without her immortality is what hurts"

Just then, I feel the phone in my pocket vibrate. It was Hyacinth. She finally replied. It was a short text as well. All it said was "I'm at the library. Can't come. I think we finally found something"

"Hyacinth finally replied" I announced to everyone.

They perked up and turned to me hearing that. They were eager to know her reply. Mal nodded her head towards me and asked "So what did she say"

"She said she can't come because they're close to finding something"

The group shared looks and a silent conversation through their eyes. Finally Mal sighed and said "Guess we have to go without her"

"I'll stay behind. I want to know what they found" I replied.

Mal and the rest only nodded before rushing off to get to the Isle.

I dragged my feet to the library. The halls weren't so busy compared to the weekdays when classes were in session so I was able to get there without much disturbance. I turned left to a huge mahogany double door and went in.

The library is one place I've never really been to that much. The only reason I would ever even go here is because of Hyacinth. There weren't that much libraries in the Isle so she loves to spend her time here when she does nothing. But now, she goes more frequently with her father and Apollo to look for a cure.