Prologue

'It's so hot in here... I feel like my skin is going to bubble right off...'

You clawed at the creature's tongue, trying desperately through tears to keep from sliding down its greedy maw. Blood erupted from the slick flesh, steam singeing your hands. Despite that, you couldn't feel it. It closed its mouth slowly, as though trying to show you how close you were to breaking away from it. Beyond its gargantuan teeth your own camrade watched in horror. You reached desperately for his aid but he remained frozen. He was midair, wires pulled taut against somewhere far away. His eyes were welled over with tears before vanishing, the buzz from his equipment the last thing you heard. You couldn't help the horrible screech that erupted from you. "Don't leave me!"

Your eyes clouded over with tears as you felt the titan's throat constrict around you, shoving you down it esophagus as you let loose a horrifying scream. "No! Stop please! Somebody help me please! I-I don't want to die!"

Cries unheard, the muscles closing around you plucked your hands from their torn handhold and dumped you into free fall. You tumbled downward, splashing into a rotten pool of stomach acid. At first, you were completely immersed within the foul acid, but you swam desperately to break the surface. As you blindly flailed, you broke the surface without much time, the liquid coming up about up to your armpits. Sputtering, you cleared your lungs of the foul liquid.

The rancid fluid drenched you from head to toe. Your body burned as the liquid leaked into your eyes, mouth and open wounds. You trembled as you looked out over the bobbing body parts that surrounded you. Your comrades, your friends, all bitten into chunks. Your throat burned with your previous terrored cries but now it fell taut with sudden defeat. Tears welled in your eyes.

The titan's stomach seemed to slosh back and forth with the movement of it, suddenly throwing itself forward again. The wave pushed you beneath, barely able to resurface before getting pushed even deeper. The loud splash of another victim struck horror into your heart, but you swam still.

"Is... is this how I'm going to die?" You wondered. You found your footing, squeezing your eyes shut as sadness overwhelmed you.

You shuddered, raking your fingers through your hair and yanking on it roughly. "Wake up! Wake up dammit! I can't die like this! Oh god... Oh God! I'm really gonna die here!" 

You sucked in a sharp breath, beginning to sob. All you could hear was your pathetic whimpers and the sickening sloshing of the pool you sat in. Every time a severed limb or mysterious chunk brushed your body, you jumped away with an accompanying cry. Hope drained from you quickly, the only thing keeping your eyes being the sheer horror of how you'd meet death's cold gaze far before you were prepared to. 

The body lurched once more, sending you under a wave of bile to your disgust. However, as the world tilted around you, it didn't stop. Your prison seemed to sweep beneath you, throwing you back and jumbling your surroundings. You sat silent for a moment, waiting for the world to stop. To your surprise, it did. You opened your eyes and looked around, finding your surrounding flipped on its side. Heat slowly built up inside of the monster, steam filling it. 

"Someone... someone got him! Someone came to save me! Oh thank god! Thank you god... I-I'm safe... I-I have to get out of here... it's getting too hot." You looked around quickly. The hole leading up the esophagus twitched gently, relaxing after a short bit. Crying loudly, you waded through the pit and clawed at the stomach lining. Pulling yourself up slowly, you struggled against the slick surface, not too different from its tongue in a way. "I'm here!" You screamed, hoping someone would hear. 

'Wait, of course they can't hear... there's a battle going on! I have to get out myself. I'm a scout for Christ's sake! I'm going to survive!'

The way you scraped upwards, kicking off of body parts and propelling yourself with bloodied fingertips was much closer to that of an animal than anything else. Survival pushed you forward through the titan's steaming body. "Freedom... Freedom... I'm almost out! I'm alive! I'm here!" 

As you saw the back of the titan's teeth, you could feel your strength return to you. It was incredible, prying open the titan's teeth and getting thrown out as steam gushed from behind you. "I'm alive! Oh thank god I'm alive. Thank you for saving me... thank you so...." 

You pushed yourself up looking around you for your savior, finding nothing. Far away you could hear the buzzing of wires, but you could only see their backs. Horses... wagons... panic. They were retreating, without you. "Wait, wait hold on! I'm back here!" 

You pounded your gear with a fist, but having only half of it rendered it useless. "I-I can't keep up. Someone help!" 

Your face fell quickly, watching as large faces slowly turned to meet your gaze. Choking up, you crumbled to your knees. "I-I'm back here guys..."