Chapter 6

Curled up under a thin blanket, you shrank against the wide tree roots that hid you. Your gnarled fingers trembled painfully as you pulled the covers tightly in an attempt to hide yourself. A crackling fire danced in front of you a few meters away, and on the other side, laid the head of a titan, their large green eyes staringly numbly at the space above your head. You didn't want to blink, lest it move. You didn't want to move, lest it see you. You didn't want to breath, lest it hear.

With a sharp knock, its eyes found you, terrifyingly large orbs dilating as a grin stretched over its cheeks. It opened its mouth, creaking like a wooden door, before launching towards you. A scream ripped your throat as you threw the covers over your eyes. You flailed wildly, clawing at the space around you so you wouldn't be swallowed.

You could feel clamping tightly around your biceps, pressing you downward to ground. You only thrashed around more, more screaming echoing from your throat.

"(Y/N)... (Y/N) stop!"

"Wake up!" Your head snapped to the side sharply, light burning growing in your cheek. Cool tears cut through that pain as you opened your eyes. At first, only rough smears of color greeted you. You blinked rapidly, clearing away the fuzziness as you looked up. Blue eyes broke the fog, followed by a ridiculous set of eyebrows. His large hands clasped your arms on each side, only loosening as your screaming silenced. "E-Erwin?" You stuttered, confused.

Flashes of memories flickered behind your eyes, remembering where you were and what happened the last few days. "Oh, Erwin... good morning bushy brows."

Your ribcage hurt as you sat up. You slid your palm up against your forehead, pushing back your chaotic hair. You turned your head and looked around you as though to solidify your safety. Gingerly touching your face, you winced. "Did you slap me? How rude." You teased, smiling as your wiped your tears clean.

"That honor actually went to me." A blunt tone grunted, forcing you to look past Erwin at his raven-haired subordinate.

"Oh. Then really... how rude." You muttered.

"You were screaming and sobbing in your sleep (Y/N). I couldn't wake you up either. At least he got you awake." Erwin sighed, finally releasing his grip. Moving closer, he sat next to you as he knit his face caterpillars together.

"Are you alright? What was that all about?" He asked.

"It was just a nightmare." You said. Your tone didn't waiver as you spoke, allowing the illusion you were speaking the truth. "Or more close to a memory. It's not problem."

"But what was it? We can't have you screaming yourself awake every morning. You'll hurt yourself and-"

"Relax eyebrows, I promise it's not a common occurance." You cut him off skillfully, forcing your tone as to cut off any further discussion. Turning your gaze towards Levi, you smiled bitterly and eyed with a annoyed, cocky stare. "As for you, are you happy you finally got the chance to smack me? I promise you it won't happen again, so I hope you enjoyed the opportunity."

Levi only grimaced at you, turning pointedly and grumbled as he stamped away. You laughed quietly, the image of a child invading your mind with his behavior. You sat in silence for a moment before Erwin stood, walking to your door and closing it gently.

You didn't question his actions, instead opting to swing your legs around the cot so your two feet were firmly planted on the floorboards. "I really do think he just slapped me because he could. Ha! It's so easy to get under his skin." The way you spoke was too quiet, turning your intention of jeering and funny to an attentive and sad observation.

Erwin leaned his back against the door as he looked at you. He pursed his lips like a mother might whom was punishing their wayward child, but his usually intense eyes were tender with concern. You retracted your jovial tune and sighed, shoulders sagging. "I dreamt about the forests." You said quietly. "When I was still recovering from escaping the titan's mouth."