Six

Being an insomniac, Levi's nights were often spent in his own troubled head

Being an insomniac, Levi's nights were often spent in his own troubled head. He sat in the dark, recalling the events of his past and the many people he had lost, wondering what he could've possibly done differently.

There were often nights where his troubles grew to be too much to handle. On nights like those, he would travel to the kitchens for distractions. Bitter cups of tea satisfied him and pulled him to another world for just a few moments.

In those moments of escapism in the kitchens, Levi would be breaking curfew, but he never cared. He was from the Underground. Rules were constantly broken. However, along came his newest commander and his wish to make squad leader out of Levi. That greatly changed Levi's care of rules, which changed his way of coping with sleepless night.

True, it wasn't like Zachary would find out if Levi had broken curfew, but following the rules was a part of proving that he was no longer the thug he was once. Suddenly, Levi had been forced to stay in the barracks with his snoring comrades and his rampant thoughts.

The room was dark. One of the soldiers had pulled the curtains closed, allowing no moonlight to guide Levi's gaze to the ceiling. All he could look at was the pitch blackness and form his own questions and answers from the room.

Of course, his thoughts went to Arden.

She was rude. Crass. Annoying. As Hange had told him in passing, she was much like he was when he first joined the regiment. He despised that he couldn't even argue with that statement.

And among those thoughts of Arden, the mystery of her arose. For whatever reason, something about the woman was familiar to Levi, though he couldn't quite place what it was.

Erwin had suggested before that they had shared a brief meeting in Shiganshina before one of their many expeditions. Occasionally the Scouts would have to work with the Garrison to organize when the gate would be lifted, or they'd discuss what crowd control would look like, or something else. While Erwin's answer was plausible, it failed to sit right with Levi. In the Garrison, Arden was no more than a regular soldier. Levi was a regular soldier himself. Typically only officers were dragged away to discuss plans with the other regiment. Besides, Levi would've remembered her clearly with her filthy, thick hair and her terrible attitude. The more he mulled over it, the more certain he was that they'd never met.

If that were true, Levi was still left concerned and confused in the darkness of the barracks. Levi knew of Arden somehow, and whatever it was, it related to that last name of hers. Keiser.

But why did it matter so much, anyways? Levi had no answer. It wasn't like he cared much for Arden. From what Levi had collected, the woman was crude and ill-mannered, often more stubborn than he. Somebody like that wasn't worth dwelling over, Levi told himself, but as he tried to forget about Arden and her familiarity, he only thought of her more.