Eight

Three days had passed since Arden's letters had arrived, and so, three days had passed since Erwin and Levi learned that there was a bit more to her than they initially thought

Erwin had first believed her to be but a pawn he would use to gain what he most desired, and in truth, he still saw that vision. She was meant to be what would guarantee that Levi would be promoted. After reading the letter sent by her adoptive parents, Erwin had found another opportunity hidden in the words. He had found another tool to strengthen his plan for Levi to become a squad leader.

If his suspicions were right and Arden's documents were forged, then he would be required to turn her over to Zachary. Bearing false documents was enough of a crime on its own, but to add that along to Arden's charges from Shiganshina would guarantee her a life sentence, or perhaps even a death sentence if Zachary was up to it. So, while Erwin would be legally required to inform Zachary of the crime, the truth was that he didn't plan on saying anything.

Because if Arden's papers were in fact forged, the commander had a plan to use the situation to his advantage.

While the Hahn's letter had caught Erwin's attention for reasons of possible blackmail and legal issues, Levi had been interested in the letter only because of Arden's relation to a familiar man.

Mr. Keiser, the man Levi had once worked for alongside his old friend, Farlan, was supposedly this woman's father.

Levi told himself that he didn't care to learn more, that the past was much better off being left behind them, forever untouched, but he couldn't bring himself to hold back his many curiosities and questions.

Even one year after Farlan and Isabel had left him alone with the military, Levi's emotional wounds from their passings had yet to entirely healed. If there was somebody that could provide insight into a part of his past that Levi had taken for granted, then he wanted to speak to them. Unfortunately in this situation, that person was Arden Keiser, who had a tendency to curse at Levi and bicker with him at any opportunity.

Levi ultimately decided to leave it be. Farlan's memory would always be just that—a memory. Besides, there wasn't any use in reliving it through some irritable woman, and there was still a chance that the Mr. Keiser Levi had worked for was a different man altogether from the one Arden's letter had mentioned. Keiser was a common surname.

But as Levi watched Arden running those laps he had ordered her to do (it took quite a bit of arguing and a physical altercation to get her to run), something in his mind said yes, that this woman was most certainly related to the man Levi and Farlan had once worked for all of those years ago. She was as stubborn as Mr. Keiser. She was just as angry, with herself and with the world. The similarities were clear. Perhaps not in the face, but in the personality.

"Levi, may I have a minute?"

The short man turned away from the training grounds and looked to see a familiar blond staring him down. Levi quirked a brow. "Don't you have work to be doing?"