The Parable of the Heavenly Championship

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

And we're back from our regularly scheduled worship break.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Wow! That was a great one. You know sometimes I watch TV just for the worship breaks and that one ranks near the top! It was so good, Mike, I've kinda forgotten where we're at as I'm sure a lot of the viewers back home did too! Can you recap what's going on?

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

You're not alone, Gabe, a lot of the players haven't made it to their feet yet either.

So here we are in Game 7 of the Eden Baseball Championship Series featuring the Greenfield Gardeners versus the River City Doves.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

You heard that right, folks! It's the RIVER CITY Doves! It's not a surprise that a team nicknamed the Doves is in the championship since it's the most popular mascot in sports, but we all expected it to be Hilltown here at the big game or maybe Ocean View. But no! It's the RIVER CITY Doves.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

That's right, Gabe, but these Doves are big underdogs to the best team in baseball, the Greenfield Gardeners.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Oh yeah. The Gardeners might be the greatest team of all time. They put up the best regular season record in over 300 years with 88 wins and only 74 losses.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

You wouldn't know that the Doves are underdogs right now, though. Here we are, in Game 7. It's the bottom of the 9th inning. The Doves are up 2-1. The Gardeners are at bat with a runner on first base, but they already have 2 outs. So this might be our last man up to bat one way or another.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

And what a last man he is, folks! It's Ethan Adamson. With a last name like that you don't have to guess which Hall of Recognition player was his great-great grand pappy! Ethan is leading all offensive categories this year. If you could pick one guy to be up to bat right now, it'd be Ethan.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Other than Jesus of course.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Oh yeah, Mike, that goes without saying. I'm waiting for the day HE comes out to play on the baseball diamond again.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Pitching for the Doves is Joshua of River City. He's a hometown prospect that's played pretty well over the last 10 games.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Yeah. It wasn't a great year for Joshua, statistically speaking, but it's his turn to pitch.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Joshua is checking with the catcher and it looks like they've settled on a pitch. Here's the windup...

And the pitch...

Big swing by Ethan...

He gets a piece of it...

But it's off into a section of bystanders sitting on the left hillside overlooking the playing field. It's a foul ball which counts as the first strike.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Wow, Mike, did you see that guy make a great catch on the foul ball? He jumped over another man and plucked it out of the sky barehanded. Maybe he can play for the Doves next year.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Uh-oh. It looks like there's a bit of an argument between the two men over who should have the ball.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

This is pretty typical, Mike. The first guy who caught the ball is apologizing to the guy he jumped over to get it. He's trying to give the ball to him, but the other man is too caught up in congratulating the first guy and insisting he take it. I'm guessing this will play out like it normally does and they'll find a...oh...yep...there they go. There's a boy sitting behind them. They're giving him the ball just as I suspected. Now the boy will get the privilege of throwing the ball back to the pitcher so we can get started again.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Now back to the game. Joshua's picked his pitch. Here's the throw...

OH MY! I think it hit him. Ethan's on the ground. All the players from both teams are rushing onto the field!

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Ooo. I don't like the way Ethan fell down. Lots of emotions as the teams smash into the infield. A player from the Doves got to Ethan first to check on him just as a couple other guys arrive to help him up...

Looks like he's okay, folks. They players are telling their respective teams to take the stretchers back.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

The pitcher, Joshua, has finally made it through the crowd to Ethan to apologize. Ethan shakes his hand with a smile.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Yeah, it looks like Ethan is reenacting what happened. I think he's motioning that he didn't actually get hit by the pitch. When he tried to jump back his foot got caught in the dirt and he just fell backward. Nothing serious folks. Since Ethan wasn't hit by the pitch, there's no need to take the base. Ethan is ready to get back to playing.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Here we go. Joshua is ready to pitch. Here's the throw...

OH BOY! Ethan connected on that one. That ball is going way back, folks. The fielder is running for it, but the ball bounces way back into the trees. It's a walk-off homerun! The Gardeners win the Eden Baseball Championship Series! What a game!

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Joshua has joined Ethan to run the bases along with everyone from both teams running right along behind them. They're all making their way around to home plate for the celebration. Let's send it down to Jeremiah to get a quick interview with Ethan as he arrives at home.

[JEREMIAH, SIDELINE REPORTER]

Ethan! That was a great hit. Any comments?

[ETHAN, BASEBALL PLAYER]

First I just want to thank God. Without Him I wouldn't be here today.

[JEREMIAH, SIDELINE REPORTER]

Speaking of, here's the Big Man right now!

[GOD, THE GREAT I AM]

Great hit, Ethan. That was a lot of fun to watch. Great job, all of you guys. It was another great baseball season. I'll see you all at the celebration feast.

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Thanks, God. Thanks, Ethan and Jeremiah. Well folks, that wraps up this season of baseball.

[GABRIEL, COLOR COMMENTATOR]

Oh wait. There it is, Michael. The Doves players just poured the cooler of milk all over their head coach, Ezekiel, in celebration. Ha ha! I love it!

[MICHAEL, PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER]

Yep. Ol' Ezekiel is laughing. As with tradition, winners are kneeling to honor the losing team for a great series and a great game.

That will wrap up our coverage of this year's championship. We'll see you next season!