𝙝𝙚𝙮, 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧

— in which mistakes get made

- - -

Yashiro couldn't really tell the difference between morning and evening. It always looked the same: black, dull, and lifeless.

Ever since Yashiro was born into the world, she had never been able to see colors. There was a curse humans were born with — soulmates, as they called it — and, by default, you aren't able to see colors until you meet the eyes of your soulmate.

Yashiro hated it, because she saw with her own (literally colorblind) eyes all of her classmates already knowing how beautiful the rainbow is with color, and hang out with their soulmates as they act all lovey-dovey with each other.

She had actually grown to hate soulmates, because there was a gut feeling deep down she won't be able to meet her soulmate any time soon — lots of people say she's too dramatic over it

In the midst of her daily mourning about her misfortune — her phone rang.

She frowned. Yashiro doesn't get calls often, especially during this hour.

Carefully, she opened her phone, blinking rapidly to rid of the blurriness coming from her sleepy daze. Her dried tears didn't help either.

Not realizing she accidentally pressed the accept button, she jumped when she heard a voice. An unfamiliar voice, lest pleasing to hear.

"Hello? What took you so long to pick up?"

Because I don't know you and I had to ponder over whether or not I should accept a call from a complete stranger, duh, Yashiro thought sassily. She had to bite her bottom lip to keep it from spilling out.

"Uhm, uh, hi?"

"Why do you suddenly sound so shy? And. . .girlish? Let me guess, that crush of yours complimented you or something, huh? Oh, maybe like— oh, I love boys with high pitched voices!"

"I— uh, what?" Yashiro furrowed her eyebrows. She almost wanted to laugh at the poor, and overly exaggerated mimic of a girls' voice. "Well, first of all, it's 2 am, I want to keep quiet and whisper. And no, I didn't really see my crush today." Sadly.

Silence washed over the other end of the line.

"You don't sound like Akane. You don't sound like boy."

"Because. . .I'm not a boy?"

Then the stranger cursed. Yashiro snorted and scolded him for vulgar words. But she can't really blame him, she's getting second-hand embarrassment over the whole situation.

"I am so sorry! Please forgive me, I must've typed his number incorrectly. I'm so stupid."

The stranger groaned some more; Yashiro can actually hear something hit someone continuously — like he was banging his head or something.

Yashiro giggled.

It's been a while since she laughed like that. She didn't expect a stranger to pull that out from her, though.

"Why are you guys calling each other at 2 am? That's pretty bad for your body."

"You say that, and yet you're still awake, too."

Yashiro hung her head low in guilt. She can't just tell someone she just met about her problems! Even if the stranger's voice is strangely comforting.

"I was ranting. It was a pretty bad day for me, and I needed someone to rely on. Sorry for dragging you into this. . ."

Yashiro's heart broke over how sincere the stranger sounded. The poor person must've been through a lot.

"It's fine."

She yawned, and regretted it when the stranger cursed out of guilt. She heard him groan in frustration - Yashiro doesn't blame him.

"Ah, I'm keeping you up. I'm just going to hang up now, okay?"

Yashiro, who was feeling more and more sleepy in each second that passed, nodded. Then she realized that he couldn't see her and muttered, "yeah, okay."

"Alright, bye!"

"Bye. Love you."

"Love you, too."

The line ended.

A minute passed and it was then Yashiro, to her eternal horror, just realized what just occured. Red creeped up in her face, and she suddenly had the urge to scream.

Yashiro didn't feel like sleeping anymore.

Her phone vibrated, but she didn't have the willpower to even check it. She just wanted to crawl in a hole and hide forever.