Part 3

Hope was feeling pretty good, surrounded by charming and unnaturally attractive company, her drink was strong, and she was having fun. Then the band started up.

Two women took the stage; the blonde had focused, serious eyes and the girl with the dark hair had concerned dark eyes with pouty lips. The girl at the piano began to lay and a sweet, soulful voice emerged from the other. They were amazing, the blonde had a gifted touch on the keys, then the rest of the band joined in... the singer was a real knockout, in a dress that suited her perfectly, just like her song. In the blink of an eye, half of the joint was on their feet.

"Those two are amazing! Do you know who they are?" Hope asked, immediately awestruck.

"The canary is Josette Saltzman, twin to Lizzie. She prefers Josie. Jade is on the piano. Just Jade, no last name." Rafael answered as MG took his seat back, whatever business he'd had concluded. Hope wanted to hit the dance floor, so she grabbed MG's hand to drag him along with her.

"Come along now, I'm known for my mean two-step." Hope grinned, her grip on his wrist as tight as a vice.

"MG is not much of one for dancing, little miss. He doesn't want the world to find out about his two left feet." Rafael snarked. Hope gave him another look over. He was handsome, but also somehow empty as well.

"Are you offering to fill my slot then, Raf?" MG raised his eyebrow disbelievingly. "Her dance card is still empty."

"Oh, um... no, I..." Rafael started and stuttered, suddenly taken aback. He hadn't expected his mockery to be turned back around on himself.

"Rafael doesn't dance, either. He doesn't want anyone to know how much he's had, the boozy old boy." MG leaned and whispered to her, before noticing something or someone across the room and sitting up ramrod straight, suddenly playing the part of the coiled spring once again.

Just as it seemed Hope was beginning to believe she would have to look elsewhere for a dance partner; Elizabeth Saltzman strode through the crowd, offering a wave to her sister as she stepped through the crowd, all eyes shifting to her. Hope wondered how one family could have so much talent.

Not long after she had filled her eyes with LIzzzie, Hope noticed Landon, her driver from earlier in the day, flanking Lizzie from behind and to the side of her.

"Landon?!" she exclaimed before she could stop herself.

"Do you know him?" MG asked, watching Hope's face curiously.

She wasn't given a chance to reply to MG or to ponder over the multitude of reasons or consequences behind Landon's presence, because Lizzie Saltzman's gaze was holding her own once more. There was a hypnotizing aspect of her gaze.

"Ah, I had been hoping to see if I could be allowed to sweep you off of your feet for real this time. Would you grant me a dance?" Lizzie asked, his smile charming and somewhat roguelike. Hope immediately downed the rest of her drink. Everyone who had been gathered around the movie star glared daggers at Hope as Lizzie took her hand and led her out to the dance floor. Jade saw Lizzie hit the floor and broke into a quick Charleston jazz tune. She swept Hope up and on a quick tour of the floor, their feet feeling as though they flew above the ground.

Hope could feel her heart attempting to beat plum out of her chest. This was what dancing had always been meant to feel like, though she was constantly distracted by the feel of all of the eyes on her. She was dancing with a film star, though, the film star of this day and age. Elizabeth Saltzman deserved her full attention. She was good too, as smooth as she looked to be in the movies. The music and the dancing... it all felt perfect and truly elegant.