Part 6

When Hope realized Lizzie was dance partnerless, she took the tall blonde by the hand and accompanied her to the dance floor as Jade kicked her band into another upbeat song. After another few turns about the room, the dance floor began to get crowded. Lizzie led Hope into a back room to a table where a group of people, all richly dressed, were playing cards. The pair watched the group finish a hand, and Hope couldn't even count how much cash was in the pot.

A dark-skinned young woman with a full head of dark curls pulled the pot of money into her area. She smiled smugly at her competitors, then at Hope and Lizzie.

"I'm glad you introduced me to this crowd, Saltzman. These winnings ought to fund a week away somewhere warm... and you really are a good friend, about to introduce me to this beautiful girl who will surely agree to accompany me." the woman spoke, and Hope was shocked by how forward everyone she had met thus far was.

"This is a new friend of mine," Lizzie began. Hope extended her hand to the woman who took it and kissed the back of her knuckles instead of shaking.

"Hope Mikaelson, this is Maya Machado. Maya, this is Hope." Lizzie finally got to finish her sentence.

"MIss. Hope, as in the new ward of Alaric Saltzman, the owner of Uncle Ric's Appliances?" Maya asked, quickly putting all of the pieces together.

"Erm,... I guess so." Hope answered awkwardly. Everyone already seemed to know Uncle Ric when all she had ever known of him was as a frumpy old business owner.

"Even just the sight of you makes the joy of meeting you all mine," Maya spoke as Hope pulled her hand away, completely thrown off her game.

"Maya Machado, here, is one of Mystic Falls' leading entrepreneurs, along with her brother Ethan. They specialize in supplying our fair city with libations, all from their competing establishment only a few blocks down the street." Lizzie explained and gave Hope a rather pointed look.

"So, you aren't from around here either, then?" Hope asked and leveled her gaze at Maya once more, she was still somewhat unsure of how she felt about this rather shady woman. She was beautiful, but Maya gave off a very strange vibe, and Hope couldn't quite figure it out.

"I came to be here by way of New York... and in all of my travels, I have never met any sight as fetching as the vision which now befalls me." Maya spoke with a bewitching and lavish tongue.

"Why is it that everyone in this town has been looking at me as though I were the freshest piece of meat in the town?" Hope asked, her inner Mikaelson ferocity suddenly jumping out.

Lizzie and Maya's eyes went immediately wide in surprise. Lizzie Saltzman, for one, seemed to be a bit proud of Hope, behind her obvious shock. The Mikaelson daughter seemed to be growing more irritated than amused by Maya's continuous flirtations.

"I am only asking because you have been attempting to butter me up like I'm a biscuit." Hope snapped again when Maya still had nothing to say in response.

"Ha! So there is a point to Team Mikaelson." Lizzie laughed out loud, her expression firmly proud of her new friend now. She was somewhat infamous for her various one-liners and comebacks throughout her time in Mystic Falls. It was much harder to truly be herself when the cameras were all pointed her way.

"No one is keeping score, Lizzie. At least, Ms.Machado had better hope we aren't. We have all only just met and she had already been knocked down a few rungs." Hope chuckled, attempting to squash her irritation, and knocking her shoulder into Lizzie's jovially.

"I have never been much of a sportswoman. I much prefer the cards." Maya laughed back. She still didn't seem to understand Hope was making fun of her.