Evil King Richard

Everyone loves a good villain, especially William Shakespeare

Everyone loves a good villain, especially William Shakespeare. One of his most iconic plays, Richard III, is based on an English king, King Richard III. However, in this play, Richard in not only king, but a vile villain. But what of the real Richard? Was he truly an old, sickly, cruel hunchback? Was he as blood hungry as some make him out to be? Did he murder his own nephews in order to become king? As a historian, debunking myths and shedding light on the truth is one of my favorite things to do. Who was the real King Richard, you ask? I shall tell you... Buckle your seatbelts and hold on tight class, we're about to take a trip to the 15th century.

On October 2, 1452, Richard, the Duke of York, was notified that his beloved wife, Cecily Neville had birthed him yet another son. This was their 11th child, but of the 7 sons that Cecily had birthed, only 3 had survived. He was overjoyed, though a little wary. However, seeing as how the babe appeared healthy, they decided to name him Richard, after his father. Cecily would go on to birth another child, but that one would not survive. Of the 12 children they had, only 7 of them survived to adulthood. The Duke, however, was grateful for his 4 sons.

"Whoa whoa whoa, wait a second Mrs. Anderson. If King Richard's dad is just a Duke, then how did he become king? Wasn't there already a king with a family?"

"What great questions, let's take a look at the royal family, shall we?"

England had gone through its ups and downs with the monarchy. They had great kings, and they had some pretty terrible ones. However, one of the great kings that the Duke of York had supported was King Henry V. This man was handsome, strong, and an amazing military man. If his army was fighting, you would find him on the front lines with his men. His queen, Catherine of Valois, had given him one child, whom was also named Henry. Spoiler alert, English people loved to name their children Henry... There were 8 kings with that name. Alas, in the ever ongoing struggles between England and France, Henry V found himself ill with dysentery on campaign in France and succumbed to the disease. His child, at just 9 months old, was named King Henry VI. However, being a baby, people had to rule as regents in his stead until he was of age. This did no favors for the boy, because the influence of his regents were a bit detrimental, and they used him like a pawn. Meanwhile, the widowed queen begins seeing her Welsh servant, Owen Tudor. They have two sons together, Edmund and Jasper Tudor. Remember that name, class.

King Henry VI grows up and marries Margaret of Anjou. However, Henry is known for being a very pious man, and they remained childless for nearly 8 years. It was said that he spent more time on his knees than in the queen's bed. During this time, Richard, the Duke of York, attempts to have himself named as Henry's heir which increases tension. Unfortunately for Henry, he has a mental collapse in 1453 which literally leaves him unable to communicate and therefore he cannot rule. A few short months later, the queen gives birth to a son, whom they name Edward. There is speculation that the boy was not Henry's but that could not be proven. Richard of York is appointed as Protector while Henry is incapacitated for two years. However, once he recovers, the Duke is removed and there are hostilities. Eventually tensions run too hot and Richard makes a claim for the throne based on heredity but is denied and in 1455, the Wars of the Roses begins.