04| new team

⌜◌⌟

⌜◌⌟

          "Akashi-kun?" I gasp out in absolute surprise when encountering the redhead outside my classroom, standing near the door with his school bag hoisted over his shoulder and an open book in hand.

"Ah, Katsumi. Just in time," Akashi says as he shuts his book and stuffs it neatly inside his bag. "Our last-period classrooms were side by side, and I thought it would be best I accompany you."

My face heats up as I quickly shuffle to his side, where we began our way towards the gymnasium, "Ah, arigatō. I'm actually glad you did— I wasn't sure where the gym was."

He simply hums in response, keeping his head high and straight ahead, "I would expect a middle school volleyball manager to know where the gymnasium facilities are by now."

"Naturally, people would, wouldn't they?" I chuckle to myself, thinking back on the times Iwaizumi and I would scold my brother for attempting to intimidate poor Kageyama or the days I would enthusiastically cheer for my team. "I was never genuinely into volleyball— like my brother, especially. He was very passionate about it, and I only became manager to support and spend time with him and our friends. I'm just glad I was somehow able to help make them win."

"I see. Either way, you did a swell job without the love for the sport," Akashi says as he swings the doors of the gymnasium, the noise and vibration of basketballs slapping against the clear floor sounding clearer than before. "My sole goal is to win, Katsumi. I have never lost once in my whole life, and I intend to keep it that way."

"Sōdesu ka?" I walk into the gymnasium, with Akashi closely behind as the surrounding immediately bring their attention to us, "then, I promise to do my best as your manager to make you win in every single match."

He only nods at my promise before heading towards -what I am assuming is= the changing room to switch out of his school uniform. I scan around the gymnasium apprehensively as I was left abandoned, leaving me to fidget my sleeves alone to ease my nervousness. My eyes suddenly fall on a familiar shoulder-length dark-haired player who looked at me with a soft smile before kindly waving at me. My lips then gap when eventually recognizing who they exactly were, "It's you!"

"Didn't think I'd see you so soon, Oikawa-chan," they muse with a grin while my face distorts in bewilderment as to how they knew my name.

"Hm? You've met her before Reo-nee?" A blond head abruptly rises out of his teammate's shoulder, his olive green iris glimmering with excitement.

"Isn't she the one you bumped into last time?" A -particularly- towering and bulky player drops into the conversation.

'Reo-nee' hums in confirmation before redirecting their attention on Akashi, who just walked out of the changing room, "Sei-chan! This is the cute first-year student I was talking about a few days ago. Isn't she so adorable?"

An embarrassing squeak leaves my lips when my face immediately bursts in flames from the unexpected compliment as I shuffle closer behind Akashi when he comes standing by my side. "As notified earlier, she is Oikawa Katsumi. Starting today, she will be our newest manager."

"Katsumi," he begins as he faces me, a small 'hai!' escaping me when anticipating his following words, "these are most of the starters of our team. I will later introduce you to our other manager, Higuchi Shota, who will mentor you during the coming weeks to cover everything you need to know about basketball. He should be arriving soon."

"My name is Mibuchi Reo, a second-year student," the one with silky black locks introduces themself with a hand outstretched in front of me, "I am glad we are now formally acquainted, Oikawa-chan."

"Likewise," I respond with a genuine smile, shaking their incredibly soft slender hand.

"And I'm Hayama Kotaro, also a second-year—"

"Nebuya Eikichi, the same year as them. Welcome to the team." the unrealistically tall player cuts in, causing Hayama to glare at him with tightly clenched teeth. I let out a short laugh when witnessing the amusing interaction.

They must be very close.

"Ē to— should I not also meet the captain of the team?" I ask, glancing around the gymnasium in question. Mibuchi looks at me in surprise for a split second before snorting under their palm.

Hayama, on the other hand, tilts his head in confusion as he looked down at me, "were you not told that Akashi is the captain?"

"Eh?" My mind immediately blanks out, robotically twisting my body to look at the quiet redhead, who stared at me with a sharply raised brow.

"EH?!"

| to be continued